Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
New potential SB owners... >

New potential SB owners...

Notices

New potential SB owners...

Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
mirageman

Also, you could go with that 50K special with the 496 375 h.p. bolt on a procharger 7 psi 504 intercooler for 5k plus labor, produce 562 h.p. for 86 m.p.h.
Thats smok'n!
Oh yeah, will need an XR and external steering.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:48 PM
mirageman

Thumbs up

The best damn part, is the fact that you payed less than 100K for a 32' boat!!!!!
That has got to make anyone feel good!

Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Pat McPherson
I don't think a 30Y2K has ever been built as a twin.
I am sure that the stringer system will have to be a lot different. Maybe the cost is much higher because JC is deferring some of the design, and tooling costs???
Yes, there's a cost to be paid for the added stringer system, but to the best of my knowledge nothing has to be tooled... it's just a matter of changing the locations. John has done this with plenty of others so it's not like this would be a first for him.

I owned a 28' Cig with twin sbc and it was a great boat, however maintaining and feeding two was about double. My last two boats have been smaller 24' single bbc, and it will be a long time before I go back to twins.
As for as the handling around docks, I am sure twins are far better. I have not driven a 30' Superboat but I have driven a 29' Fountain. If the wind kicks up it can be a handful...
Sure twin SB's are more expensive to feed, but when you look at feeding the same hp in a single BB, it's not much more. Maybe 30% more to feed twin 400 hp SB's vs. one 800 hp BB??? I'd much prefer to feed a little extra and have the benifits of twins.

Top speed is over rated in my opinion... I get much more of a rush catching air in the rough than a flat out run on glass. To each their own.
As far as how fast a 30' Superboat will run ??? To my knowledge, Mike's Zuperboat is the only to get close to the century mark. High 90's with a 750HP blower motor. Jcap's boat runs just shy of 90 with a 650HP blower motor. JC had some bad luck a few years back when making a speed run for Power Boat in a 750HP blower motor in a 30 Y2K. Told me she snapped a valve. How fast she would have run ??? I know he was hoping for 100.
Most people don't run their boat wide open, maybe 3% of the time. Although the top speed is nice, I like the power so I can cruise at a much higher speed. There are rough days and thery are a blast, there are claim days as well. On the rough days this boat just won't handle 80 mph in big water so the speed (power) isn't needed. For those glass like days it's nice to be able to cruise at 75 mph. Pat, where you and I boat, LIS is usually to rough for this boat to do 75 mph... but the CT river is another story. We see both sides of the coin so it's nice to have the ability to cruise at higher speeds if you have the desire. Like wise, it's nice to know you have twins when the water starts getting really big on the Sound. As you noted above, once you start building more power, twins really shine for their reliability. Another fact... twins will make this boat better in the rough water since the twin SB's (and drives) surely have to out-weigh the single BB by 500 lbs.

In my opinion the 30Y2K is most attractive with a single 496/Bravo, that 50K- 60K price just can't be beet. If 68-72mph is not fast enough, well another 6K buys a Whipple charger.
Without a doubt the stripped down Y2K is the best value. It will also have the best resale value. But remember, when you take that $6000 and buy a blower (or do anything to add more speed), you also have to buy hyd. steering and tabs for safety reasons... So that $50,000 base boat is now up to $65,000+.

One other thing... What is the layup of the $50,000 base model? Is it made with all plywood? If so, the added weight and vastly decreased life span makes me think the foam/balsa layup is the better value. John's website isn't very clear about the layup.

SS

Last edited by SS930; 03-03-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing... What is the layup of the $50,000 base model? Is it made with all plywood? If so, the added weight and vastly decreased life span makes me think the foam/balsa layup is the better value. John's website isn't very clear about the layup.
Call John with any questions you may have about the layup. That guy is amazing, he must stay by his phone 24 hours a day. I've never failed to get him on the 1st ring.

According to John, the $49,800 boat is his old race layup. Plenty strong for my purposes. As far as "decreased life span", my 1970 Donzi probably has a similar layup with lots of plywood. At age 34, it's holding up great, and spends most of it's time in the air!!

Jim
Old 03-03-2004, 02:33 PM
mirageman

As far as the construction materials on the 50k special I would think wood stringers, transom, and bulkheads, glassed hull deck and liner. I think this is more than adequate for the horsepower, but wouldn't go too crazy adding gobs of power for waterbodies larger than lakes. I wish I new exactly.
I would own it!

Old 03-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I new exactly.
(631) 226-1761

John can tell you...
Old 03-03-2004, 03:14 PM
mirageman

I don't want to bother him because I am not ready to buy a boat from him just yet. Probably this winter.

I would rather he spend his time helping people who are ready to purchase than answering questions from a window shopper at this point.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 50k deal, balsa cored bottom, glass sides, foam cored deck plywood stringers and bulkhead all glassed to the deck and hull(also glassed together).

As for twins 2 6.2 at 3500rpm burn alittle more than a 496 at 4500rpms, and I doubt it twice. Merc pricing, 6.2 w/bravo about 13k, 496HO w/bravo about 17k, if you have a 90mph boat you need external steering 5k(get this on a 496 maybe single ram 2500) xr upgrade about 3k. twins also add an extra grand or so in gauges.
As for rough water and weight twins may make the boat ass heavy and not fly as level, Active Thunder doesn't want twins in their 28 because it flys soo nice with a single.

As for docking, take your time and make sure you have a cleet midship.

To me the beauty of this boat is simplicity, hose the whole thing down when you are finished, not much to rot(all gell), cost, a 496 is very fuel eff. compaired to other BB, warentee 6 years, cruise at 50mph getting 3mpg all day, narrow beam(makes it ride like a bigger boat and dosent need Merc Racing to hit 70(cost), custom made not assembly line and it just looks sexy.

Twinn 6.2 w/bravos for 18k in boxes, buy them its a deal, bring them to JC and he'll put them in.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:28 PM
mirageman

Hebert-- I agree with everything you have said! The boat is simple and sexy, not cluttered but clean.
I am actually pleased that the construction on the 30-y2k is as advanced as you said. That is good news! When John said older race boat on his website I was thinking 68-70 Magnum/Donzi. (which isn't bad by the way, just older).

Now, I just need to rob a bank to save for the down!

What about Insurance? SB30 - If you don't mind me asking, who are you insuring through? did they give you any problems?

Last edited by mirageman; 03-03-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,
Maybe we should make a group trip to Lindenhurst this Spring and fill JC's capacity to build 30Y2Ks for the coming year... We'll hit him up for a group discount!!!
I have not talk to John about the differences between the older vs newer construction, only heard second hand info... I believe that there is added coring to the sides that stiffens the whole boat in the more expensive layup.

Quick Reply: New potential SB owners...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.