Notices

New SB Delivery - Data Points!

Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New SB Delivery - Data Points!

What a trip!

First of all - let me say again, the boat is AWESOME, and we're looking forward to many great years of use - my expectations have been exceeded and the posts to come will give perspective buyers some good info.

Here's some basic info on the trip, timing, costs, etc:

Delivery trip: SE Texas to Long Isl NY and back, by the owners
2001 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 (Superchip set to "Tow Safe")
2004 Rolls Axle Tandem Trailer
Total distance ~4000 miles, 14 States (includes side trip to CT for river run).
Run time: ~70 hours (= 57.1 mph avg)

Average Fuel mileage, trailer empty: 14.6 mpg, at ~80 mph
Trailer loaded: 13.2 mpg

Total fuel cost (@avg price of about $2.25/gal) = $496.43

Tollways $30.45

Hotels along the way $166.19

Total trip cost $693.07

Hauler quote, using my trailer $2100
Transporter estimates, on flatbed were ~$3000+

Notes: NY state does NOT allow pick-up trucks (SUV's are ok, no trailering) on anything designated a PARKWAY - you must use EXPRESSWAYs.

SB - mold was 'wet' on May 4, 2004, delivery on October 15, 2004 (they had several employee turnovers during my build though, so this caused delays).

Now, for those of you who know, the BQE thru New York, wins for being the WORST stretch of "road" I was on. However, Louisiana wins for QUANTITY of bad roads I was on (we went across most of the state at less than 50 mph).

Hope this helps future buyers - we'll post more on this thread again soon, to share some of the 'fun' we had along the way. Word to the wise - please, right now, go out and check the nut on your hitch ball to see if it is secure, and then go have it welded on anyway - we'll post why soon........

Last edited by krakmeup; 10-20-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: New SB Delivery - Data Points!

I know what you are saying about the BQE. When I trailered up there I almost got in a wreck. Did you go over the Goethals Bridge? Talk about white knuckle grip!

Your tolls sound low? I thought the Verizano was like $14 alone?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by krakmeup
Word to the wise - please, righ tnow, go out and chek to nut on your hitch ball to see if it is secure, and then go have it welded on anyway - we'll post why soon........
I think I detect a hint of a loose hitch ball? I used to run the engineering dept of a large national corporation's manufacturing facility. During assembly of hitch ball to bar, the ball was cast steel, with a 3/4" grade 8 carriage bolt, assembled to a 1" flat bar. The bolt was torqued to 250 ft. lbs, and the ball was welded to the bar, as well as the nut was welded to the bolt threads. They did not have any hitch balls come loose.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad you made it safe and sound! The pictures were great of the boat up here in CT, but lets get going and post some action shots of good-ole Texas!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: New SB Delivery - Data Points!

Welcome home Keith !!! What happened?? The ball losened up ? Or came off? You need to grease the ball and the cup on the trailer actuator when you do long trips. Keeps that from happening. Welding wouldn't hurt eith. Glad to hear you made it home OK.
Can't wait to see some pictures after the graphics are on.

Rick

P.S.
I almost forgot !!! In my 30 years, that tip you gave me was the best. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, it was a dark a stormy night.......

Proud new SB owner headed south from LI to see the folks in Pennsylvania before the long haul to Texas. Picture this: Around Bethel PA, 7pm dark, raining, passing an 18-wheeler, left lane 65 mph uphill, 10 foot shoulder on left with concrete blocks when I feel a not-too-good lurch and see the nose of the boat go down in the rearview. What happened next was about the longest minute or so of my life, and the details here are the compilation of all the after-thought and analysis of what actually happened:

I next checked my side view to watch the inevitable as I knew the boat would either go into oncoming traffic or head for the concrete. To my surprise and amazement (new meaning to 'shock and awe'!!), sparks were flying and the trailer was tracking behind me, the safety systems working! Now, if I can only stop all this mass and control it.....

As I gingerly applied truck brakes, the boat came forward and the trailer went under my 4x4's tall (thank goodness) bumper. The tongue jack cleared under the bumper , taking out the trailer light plug assembly. The trailer brake safety switch deployed against my undercarriage spare and the trailer brakes came on. The body of the tongue jack was trapped between and forward of my rear bumper and the spare tire, so this is what actually allowed me to steer the dragging trailer onto the ten foot shoulder, all the while a stream of 18-wheelers dodging for the right lane to avoid me and my new fiberglass.

Emergercy flashers on, rain gear, flashlight. Check out the damage. I go and see my trailer ball imbedded in asphalt, seeing that the nut is gone, but the trailer and ball are still coupled. Good news, the truck is not damaged, the trailer is wedged onto my spare, and the boat appears fine. Whew - all repairable!

Well, to save you some reading and me a lot of typing, we did not have a spare ball the right size, but did have a smaller one - the police came along and helped me look for the orignal nut and pick up tongue jack pieces, and then blocked traffic while I limped to the right shoulder for better repairs.

Flares and reflectors came out, and we called mom & dad to help run for parts. I let dad and Ruth Ann run to a truck stop where they found a nut for the 2 5/15" ball, and the repair guy said to come back and he'd weld that sucker on - RA said ABSOLUTELY (she's funny that way! ). Sooooooooo, we jacked up the trailer again, dropped it off the jack again due to unlevel shoulder, and then finally got it onto the truck. We took it easy as we limped to the truck stop, where they were waiitng as we pulled this rig into their huge bays. The guy gave me grief about having to bend 'down' to work on a truck for a change! He welded the ball to receiver, fabbed a tongue jack handle, and then repaired all my lights with a new Mack light plug (what a monster!). I threw him a C-note and we were on the road, a seven hour delay!

Damage you ask? Truck - none. Boat - minor chip on strake from trailer rub as it shifted the boat ~8" forward. Trailer - weeeelllllll......... first let me say this: a lesser built trailer than my new Rolls Axle would have meant truck or boat damage, or both, I am completely sure. The quality of aluminum and the beefy tongue jack saved both - hands down, no doubt. AND I was still able to tow to Texas the next day. The bow support on the trailer took all the brunt, bending the bow roller supports upward and forwards.

Unfortunately for us, what we didn't know is that this set the tongue weight on the trailer too far forward, and we had a miserable 25 hour ride home the next two days. On bad roads the vehicle would set up a bad oscillation and we would have to find a speed that would not shake us up, that happened to be about 45 mph!

Moral of the story: Guys, GO CHECK YOUR NUTS

And then do it again, and then go get it welded.
Carry a spare ball of the same size you are using.
Carry the right safety equipment - the cops gave us total about 20 flares, I had three and we used them all!

Safe Trailering!!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Talking Re: New SB Delivery - Data Points!

Wow Krak...I thought that s-h-i-t only happened to me!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Krakmeup , Good Work, You Saved The Superboat........
Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure glad everybody is safe and your boating has not been screwed up. I'm still trying to get to N.Y. myself to order one of these Y2K's. It's one thing or another holding me up with my business. Looking forward to hearing more of your posts.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Keith,
I too recently lost a a ball off my hitch. Lucky for me, my boat was not hooked to it. I put a load of lock-tight on the bolt when I got another; welding is next.

Glad to hear you saved her and no one got hurt. I am sure it took some fancy driving...

Quick Reply: New SB Delivery - Data Points!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.