upgrade super16 to 21 millenium? >

upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

Notices

upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

Old 12-10-2004, 11:54 PM
cwc
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

I currently have a super 16 cc that I use in Gardiners bay around east hampton. I love this boat but the waters out there are quite a bit rougher than the GSB waters I grew up on. Some days it is too choppy to have any fun out there. All the slamming makes the ride exremely uncomfortable for any passenger. My wife has basically refused to go out in anything where she's going to get tossed around. My question is if I were to upgrade to a 21 millenium would I notice much of a difference in the ride in rough water compared to my 16? Any feedback would be apprciated. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

There is no comparison in the ride of a 16 to a 21. The 21 will literally go over anything. There are some guys in here that have had them, hopefully they''ll let you know too. Besides, the Millenium is so much roomier. Not to mention faster.

Rick
Old 12-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cwc,

i just bought a 1974 16 cc that i'm restoring...should make a good "flats" boat for around gardiner's...i hope... i'm currently in riverhead and have a house in southold...where do you keep yours?

what kind of power do you have and what kind of speeds? any pictures? post away!

sean
Old 12-12-2004, 07:42 PM
cwc
Registered

Sean
The super 16 is a perfect flats boat. I keep mine in East Hampton in Hog Creek. It has a merc 115 and does mid 50s with the engine at its current setting. If I lifted the engine to the next setting it would be 60 plus top speed. The problem is there are very few days where I can really open it up due to bay conditions. I'll take some pictures next time I'm out at there and post them.
Thanks
CWC
Old 12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered

21 Millenium?.... hmmmm....where should I start. Aside from the fact that the last two that were built ( nothing to do with RICK FX-10 he wasn't even back working at SUPERBOAT at that time) porpoised like a mutha with an array of 250's & 300's with all different setback & prop combinations. I was sold the red/white one. Hadda trade it back to JC for the 24 (& happy I did ) . Guy in Florida has the last one built. Heard on Scream&Fly same story. I have talked to owners of the first ones ( less than 10 were built I was told) & they seem to be OK.
-As far as design...they look sleek...yet they don't have the speed of the 21 LEGEND (they are heavier & less aerodynamic) . I found minimal room. They are not a fishing boat either. The worst part is the 25" transom design. Big flaw. Needs a 20" with a motorwell (even though this takes up even more room inside).
- I owned a '80 16C/C and also a closed deck 16. Both were sweet.
Now if only they had pads.....

-Oh CMC...how about representing that 16 of yours in the poll my fellow SB'er.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91140
Old 12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Registered

Bash,
I wish I was back with John when you got your Millenium. I would have had you dialed in without a problem.
This winter we should be building 2 of them. One for me and one for John jr. Both lightweight's. Not super lightweight's...........But I think I can get them to between 900 and 1000 lbs. 500 less then a regular one. Either foam or baltek panel stringers and and race layup of 3 plys of 1708 as opposed to a mat, roving (24oz.),mat, roving layup.
For power................ 250 merc.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:15 PM
cwc
Registered

Superbash-thanks for the info. Your review of the Millenium is giving me second thoughts about looking into one. I was also thinking about the Spectre center console. Should I forget about the Millenium and look into something else? As for the poll, I am now represented.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered

Lightbulb Re: upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

-As far as design...they look sleek...yet they don't have the speed of the 21 LEGEND (they are heavier & less aerodynamic) . I found minimal room. They are not a fishing boat either. The worst part is the 25" transom design. Big flaw. Needs a 20" with a motor well (even though this takes up even more room inside).

CWC,

As far as what Bash said about the Millennium. Let me set a few things straight. The Millennium was never intended to go as fast as a legend. It was intended as a do anything kind of boat. Want to take the family to the beach ? Plenty of room for all the goodies. I build these things, but I own a 22' Mako (for sale). My mako doesn't have much more room then the Millennium. A foot on either side of the console, 2 feet behind my driver seat, and maybe 6 feet in front of the console. And my Mako is a fishing boat. And I also had 2 16' Superboats. In the Millennium, you have more room and a more stable ride. I have been on a Millennium and can't see anyone having a problem fishing off one. Hell, a 16 has no where near the same room as a millennium.
As for the 25" transom. My Mako came with a 20" transom. Major design flaw. Anyone who drifts in 3 or 4' swells while fishing knows that waves come in the well, especially in the ocean, and especially in 20"transom wells. In my 30 plus years of doing glass work I have raised at least 50 transoms to 25" from 20" to keep the waves from filling the well. My well probably holds 40 gals.( approximately 350 lbs.) of water. I plated and raised my transom to 25" to keep the water from filling my well. With the higher transom, I don't get water in the well anymore. That is the reason for the higher transom.
As far as the Porpoising, as I said before, I could have corrected that easily. Coen might have me beat by a few years when it comes to building boats. But when it comes to repairing and fixing hulls, I have him beat. I check the hulls before they go out, and if I see a problem, it gets fixed. All Progressions get Blueprinted before they leave the factory. do you think they would have to do that if their hull mold was perfect in the first place. Just something to think about.
The Millennium isn't a race boat. It's a performance center console. Hell..........It does over 20mph faster then my Mako with the same power. The glass work is top notch, and your getting a boat that will be around for years.

Rick
Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
cwc
Registered

Rick,
THanks very much for all that info. I love the looks of the Millenium. I am not looking to do 80mph. If the Millenium can do 60 that's plenty fast for me. I like the idea of a 25" well. I don't need swells breaking over the stern. I'm not sure what my time frame is but I would love to take a look at the ones your going to build this winter as they near completion to get an idea of the layout etc.

Thanks
CWC
Old 12-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered

no problem. I'll keep ya posted.

Quick Reply: upgrade super16 to 21 millenium?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.