Notices

Y2K props

Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y2K props

Hey super babi,
congrats on the new boat, sorry for not getting back i havnt checked email in awhile, I have tried many different props and found the hydro 5 blade round ear to work best for me. I have not tried the new 6 blade (to dam expensive!). The Y2k needs bow lift, cleaver style props give stern lift ,( which brings the bow down ) round ear props like merc 4 blade bravos pull the stern down (which raises the bow) I am sure John can give you advice on props that work well with stock power . Hopefully other Y2K guys will chime in , I know Krac was going to try a friends 5 blade round ear. I run a box stock Hydro P5x 29 pitch for pleasure boating and i get 90mph all day 88 with 5 adults, a cooler of beer and 75 gallons of fuel. When racing we run the same prop but in a labbed 28 pitch , slightly less top end ,85 85 but better mid range for hard turns. The only way is trial and error, I highly reccomend Throttle-up in Fla. they are great help and can sometimes lend you props for testing.
As for blueprinting, during set-up and testing for racing , the guys at MRD said my hull had a very bad hook and blue printing will give me 5 to 8 mph! I had it done and got No noticable diff in speed or handling! ( it was done by superboat Bob at MRD) I had another glass expert ( in NJ ) tell me the blueprinting was not done well and he gaurenteed me 4 MPH or no charge, yea I did it and it was free ! again no speed increase.
One more thing to consider 5 blade props are harder on drives, more blades mean better hook-up which means more load on drive components, some set-ups have higher slip numbers in thier design to reduce drive line failure,
sorry if im rambling , how many more days until spring?

Jim Capie
Old 12-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: Y2K props

Jim, Thanks For Getting Back To Me. Blueprinting---this Will Be Done At Superboat Factory By Rick ( Fx-10 ) And John, Who Else Could Know Hull Better. Blue Printing Bottom And Slight Rocker Added For Bow Lift.-----props ----looking For Top End I Understand 5 Blade Hydro Could Be The Ticket, John Is Looking Into This, Throttle Does Have Props Available For Tests. Howerever It Would Be Nice To Know If Any Y2k's Are Running 5 Blade. I Know Krak Is Waiting On One. ------whipple Stage 2 Looks Good. Mild Hp Gain 25-30 Hp Increase. What Happens With Prop Pitch When Gain Occurs With Rpm Gain. ( Stage 2 ). Any Thoughts Welcome. Gary
Old 12-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jim,
Thanks for giving Gary the advise on the props. As for the blueprinting. Bob told me he did your boat. I asked him what kind of blueprinting he did. He said just straightening. There's different types of blueprinting, depending on the hull characteristics. I'm going to do Gary's different then Bob did yours. Bob made your bottom straight. But you need bow lift ? Right ? I'm planning on changing the angle of the steps on Superbaby. Not by much, probably between 3/16" to a 1/4". That will be taken off the rear of the steps and faired to the front. By cantering the angle of the steps it should give more BOW LIFT then just leveling the bottom. What I'm going to do isn't your ordinary blueprint job. 2 extra plys of mat were added to the layup in the steps to makeup for what will be removed.
You said your hull had a hook. They all have a slight hook in the starboard strake on the second step. But it won't effect the performance of the hull. As you said, you had Bob straighten it out, and you didn't get any mph out of the job.
Another thing I was considering was after changing the angle of the steps, to put a rocker on the second step. Now that should lift the bow. Hmmm

Rick

PS
Jim, Is your boat Jessy James ?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey FX10,
If you are successful with the mods you have planned for Superbabi, will you and JC change the mold slightly?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Unhappy Re: Y2K props

Pat, If They 're Successful???stop...ya Makin' Me Crazy!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Jim,
My boat handles far better with the 4 blade Bravo I vs. 3 blade Mirage plus or 4 blade Hydro. The boat is much more stable at higher speeds in rougher water and rarely blows out.
Is that because the Bravo I is pulling the stern down? vs. the Mirage+ raising the bow up?
I am going to need a new prop for next year. My labbed 26p Bravo is kind of beat and I don't like the 25p Mirage unless I am running on glass.
Has anyone tried a 5 blade on a 24?

Dave M.,
What do you think?

I am leaning toward a 28p Bravo I because the plan is to have a few more ponies under the hatch. Like 100 more...
Old 12-17-2004, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sorry Gary...

Rick,
When you have successfully "Blue Printed" a 30' Super Y2K (Superbabi ) will the changes be incorporated into the mold?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

I might have to pull JC's arm(out of socket) alittle, but it's a matter of removing the step insert and modifying it. Quite a project. If thats what it takes, thats what it takes. Besides, I'll talk to John jr. to help me talk him into it.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

RICK, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SOME BIG STUFF GOING ON AT SUPERBOAT!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered

I can just hear it now "Ya know Rick, it was nice and quiet around here before you came back"

Quick Reply: Y2K props

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.