Great Sutphen Story >

Great Sutphen Story

Notices

Great Sutphen Story

Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Sutphen Story

Back in the late 80s-early 90s i kept my boat (last 30 built,tripple modifyed 200 outboards ) in the Navasink Marina,Sea Bright NJ.(The marina is located on the Navasink River which leads to the Atlantic Ocean,only 12 miles from Manhatten as the crow flys).Back then if you ran LEGITIMATELY in the 80s you were flying.Before i came to the marina there was a guy who owned 32 Hustler (twin 370s ) named Phil U.Phil U owned a north jersey Porshe dealership and thought he was king the river.The first time we raced his reign was over (i went by him in any condition easily ).At the end of the summer he was so *issed off from the crap he heard EVERYDAY from people on the river( due to his obnoxious attitude)he went to Hustler and traded the boat in (it was only two years old )on a new 32.A new 32 which was custom built over the winter and rumored to run in the 90s.All winter Phil U talked more *hit then a salesman for Johnny On The Spot about the amount of money he had spent (200,000.00), the new Hustlers top speed,ect,ect.Honestly i was prepared to lose big time (after all i ran a conserative 85 mph).May comes, the Hustler gets delivered and my first day out Phil is in the channel WAITING.I have 4 people on board but figure to take my beating like a man.I walk him ,not by much but i still beat him.If you thought he was *issed before,FORGET ABOUT IT.That day (200 grand lighter) i am told he was on the phone with Hustler screaming.Hustler claimed (of coarse )it was driver error.The very next weekend they sent a sales rep down who was one of there test driversto match race in the ocean .This time I didnot have four in the Sutphen .We ran two on two with the Hustler guy driving and they got beat worse then before BY AN OUTBOARD SUTPHEN.Phil U was so upset he actually switched location to a south jersey marina.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: Great Sutphen Story

Great story
Old 11-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haa!!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

To this day (almost twenty years ago )i can still see the look on Phil U face Basically Hustler got his 200 grand ,told him what he wanted to hear(speed wise) and set him lose never invisioning an outboard Sutphen to be that fast.No bull the guy was so embarrassed he moved the boat thirty miles away.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reminds me of a story my dad told me about another car dealer guy. Seems they're not always the brightest bunch!

Back in the day, my old man bought a Mercedes Benz 6.3 (with a 6.3 liter V8 engine). This was the baddest Mercedes engine available at the time, with 300 plus horsepower. Anyway, his buddy owned the Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen dealership in Avon CT, and he bet my dad that the new Audi Fox would beat it in a race.

$100 later he found out he was wrong. Really wrong!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Registered

Isn't the red death still sitting at coty with trees growing in it in the back of the lot? What ever happened to that thing. My favorite boat of the day and people remember it and bring up the name with a story now and then.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
To this day (almost twenty years ago )i can still see the look on Phil U face Basically Hustler got his 200 grand ,told him what he wanted to hear(speed wise) and set him lose never invisioning an outboard Sutphen to be that fast.No bull the guy was so embarrassed he moved the boat thirty miles away.
There was a set of props on the wall at Navesink that said "Phil U. eat my shorts". Those props may even still be there! Those were some cool days back at Navoo!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

Its up at Coty .Just basically let it go after truck hit the engines.Too much to fix,just not worth refurbishing ect.So you guys remember old Phil U After Phil U lost EVERY time that poor bastard would go near his boat some drunk at the Waterfront would YELL OUT and ask him where the Red Death was.I dont usually gloat,there is always someone faster BUT this is Phil U we are talking about and to say he used to be a -ick was an understatement.Poor Phil.Back in the day,GREAT TIMES,Great poeple (even you Phil)without a care in the world.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Man I MISS that damn old SUTPHEN.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Last time we talked about it , you said something to the effect of "I'll never do that again" and now you want an apache?

Quick Reply: Great Sutphen Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.