It Floats! >

It Floats!

Notices

It Floats!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the way they do it, and you have to bore a hole in the mid to cut the shaft and then weld the piece back. Pull powerhead and remove shaft. I've never had to do this, I usually break things way before they freeze up. Hopefully you can get it to break loose before having to go through all of this. From what I understand this engine has very little use. Maybe it will come apart with a few more attempts.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone suggested i pull the bolts from the Lower, then unbolt the bolts that bolt the powerhead onto the mid, take a wedge on the back side of the powerhead to create an angle for the driveshaft and start the motor. the bad angle and the rotation will free it. i'll attempt that tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

if you can find a way in there (IE cut it open) etc. Id try the dry Ice.

It will shrink the shaft and probably pop it loose.

They also sell and penatrating oil now that uses some sort of chemical(maybe dry ice) to freeze the nut/bolts your trying to break free maybe that would work through a smaller hole or with that wedge.

Youd be amazed at what HEAT and COLD can do when trying to seperate things Hot crank shaft will expand and the cold drive shaft will contract making it smaller this SHOULD seperate the two pieces if you can get in there.

If you get it apart Put some never sieze or grease on that bad boys so t doesnt happen again.

If you take a ball joint and put it in the freezer and heat the A ARM on a car you can usually pop the ball joint right in without pressing it so I can sure thats the same principal they were using in ST lucia
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Can't run your powerhead with it lifted off you wont get water to it & will overheat it. I don't like the idea of running it with anything loose. When it fires its gonna be at about 800 RPM and if that lower case takes a spin it will destroy your mid section. If you want to try something like that either pull your tether, ground your power packs out, or leave ignition off & jump the starter and just spin that fast. I don't think that's gonna work though.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

chris carson marine in key west posted on S&F that that is his method. and it always works.
The motor would only run for 30 seconds, then try to pull it out, and repeat.
i would leave 2 bolts in the lower so it doesnt hit the ground, and leave some bolts in the PH so it cant take off.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I guess it sounds feasible with the bolts in, can't wait to hear how it works. Sure would be nice if that does it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Why not just crank it over on the starter first like Jimmy says and THEN if it doesnt work go to running it as a last resort
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

I've tried cranking it. No dice. Tried with the lower being wedged. Tried with the power head angled. It is stuck good. Chris Carson said he has done it 100 times by running the motor. So I'm gonna keep trying. It is a slowwww process. Start for 30 seconds then let cool for 10 minutes. On start 6 now
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

well no dice yet, it is really seized in there. i've gotten it to move about a millimeter i want to say. going to keep trying tomorrow. this is supposedly the method of choice for salt water mechanics and has never failed. i am getting irritated though
Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey if you have actually gained a mm and everything else looks good, keep it up I think your on the way. Can you get any oil in there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.