Restoring Sutphen 20 >

Restoring Sutphen 20

Notices

Restoring Sutphen 20

Old 07-22-2024, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restoring Sutphen 20

I just bought a 1980 Sutphen 20. The transom and stringers were done by a very reputable shop as well as a brand new fuel tank. The boat has not been rigged or used since work was done, they did cut for the drive. I take a bunch of pictures as I finish this before next season. I’m either powering with Merc 350 MPI 300 Hp or a Merc 6.2 I think 340 Hp. What can anyone tell me about these ? Speed ? How are they in 1-2 footers. I was looking at 22 Donzi’s and this popped up. I’ve been told they run and handle better than the Donzi. I really like the looks and construction of the boat. I already have a 34 Sportfisherman as a primary boat, this will be used to play around. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Vosko (07-29-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 323 Posts

This is a nice classic model from Sutphen, and the newer 21SS boats are just slightly changed, but basically the same boat. With a Merc. 6.2 you'll

see 70 mph for sure. In 1'-2' chop this boat runs great, but anything larger and You'll have to cruise slowly. Does it run better than a Donzi 22?

Everything is relative. It's more about the rigging to get the boat balanced right etc., and therefore a BBC is not advisable. I dig the look of these,

and most performance boaters know the Donzi 22, but only if they're from New England would they surely know a Sutphen. That is another fun

thing, to not own something that most guys/girls own or have owned. The 20-degree deadrise makes it less smooth in rougher water than the Donzi,

but also makes it a little quicker with comparable power if all things equal. Post away, I'm subscribing to Your thread, and congrats on the purchase!.
Old 07-27-2024, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 323 Posts

Sutphen 20 brochure photo and below the new Sutphen 21SS.

Old 07-28-2024, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thank you so much for the info, there isn’t a lot of information on these boats. I really appreciate the brochure pictures, I really like the lines on the 20. The blue gel coat is very oxidized, I’m going to put the time into bringing the original gel coat back. If I can’t get the color to come back I will move on to the same dark blue in paint. I plan on taking and posting lots of pictures. Thanks again
Old 07-30-2024, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My 21SS currently runs around 65 mph with the 6.2 377