Notices

Battery Terminal Covers

Old 05-13-2023, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 840 Likes on 477 Posts
Default Battery Terminal Covers

Guys,

After that thread about the Baia that burnt to the waterline due to an accidental short across the battery terminals, I've had my eye on fixing this problem in my boat, as they were both completely exposed. I bought several off-the-shelf- options, but nothing fit how my cables/wires connected to my batteries.

So I gave up finding ready to use terminal covers that would work with how my wires and cables approach and connect to my batteries.

Using SolidWorks, and after a couple redesigns, I came up with these:

A buddy of mine has a 3D printer, so I bought a spool of purple filament (of course), and he printed them for me.

They “press” down onto the tapered lead posts, and two stainless screws clamp them in place. They are very secure, but easily removed. I plan to permanently connect shielded charging leads that my tandem charger will connect to so I won’t have to remove them to charge the batteries.

I can print these up for anybody having trouble finding terminal covers that work with their wiring, if anybody is interested. I have models for “left”, “right”, and “through” wiring configurations.Yes we can use different colors.

I’m not really looking to actively sell them, but I thought I'd make them available for anybody in the same situation I was. I'm still sorting out costs of printing them, as it wasn't my printer. Contact me if you’re interested.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 05-13-2023 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TENSION (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 153 Likes on 89 Posts

That looks like a good solution to a simple problem. 3-D printers are great. My brother has one and has made a couple things for me. I still use the old school battery box and force the lid on over my wiring and strap it down.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

Here are the renderings of the four configurations I've worked up.

Right

Straight

Through

Left

I've settled on $20 each, in whatever color is requested.

For those who have reached out, have a look and let me know which ones you need.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,241 Likes on 599 Posts

What material (filament) are you using?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rookie
What material (filament) are you using?
Rookie,

PLA for now. I don’t think there’s any reason to use anything else. We could possibly try Nylon, but my buddy’s printer doesn’t have a high temp nozzle at the moment.

PLA is non-conductive and holds a thread well enough for the screws to hold it in place.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Rookie,

PLA for now. I don’t think there’s any reason to use anything else. We could possibly try Nylon, but my buddy’s printer doesn’t have a high temp nozzle at the moment.

PLA is non-conductive and holds a thread well enough for the screws to hold it in place.

Thanks. Brad.
PLA is why I actually asked. The problem with PLA is that it has a low heat deflection temperature. You can tighten it down with screws, but the inside that is grabbing on to the lead can become malleable and loosen up if the battery gets hot. (ask me how I know) PLA can be re-formed with just hot water from the faucet. I'd suggest PETG. I print a lot with PETG and nothing to extreme with temps 230-240°C.

Last edited by Rookie; 05-16-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rookie
PLA is why I actually asked. The problem with PLA is that it has a low heat deflection temperature. You can tighten it down with screws, but the inside that is grabbing on to the lead can become malleable and loosen up if the battery gets hot. (ask me how I know) PLA can be re-formed with just hot water from the faucet. I'd suggest PETG. I print a lot with PETG and nothing to extreme with temps 230-240°C.
Rookie,

I’ve got them on my batteries. We’ll see how they work out. I’m not going to send any out until we put them to the test. I can’t imagine the inside of an engine compartment getting warm enough to remelt PLA, though. Time will tell.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Rookie,

I’ve got them on my batteries. We’ll see how they work out. I’m not going to send any out until we put them to the test. I can’t imagine the inside of an engine compartment getting warm enough to remelt PLA, though. Time will tell.

Thanks. Brad.
It doesn't melt PLA, it softens at 125°F. I work in the industrial battery industry and battery terminals can get to that temperature. Especially if a terminal is not connected tight or corrosion.

Last edited by Rookie; 05-16-2023 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you stated you didn’t want to go into the “battery post cover business”. ..but how much do you want for those lol??
Old 05-17-2023, 05:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Scot
I know you stated you didn’t want to go into the “battery post cover business”. ..but how much do you want for those lol??
Scot,

I didn’t want the other thread, about the Baia that burnt up, to turn into a “for sale” section.

I stated in the OP that I’m getting $20ea for them, in whatever color you want (based on availability of filament).

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.