Operation Drywater? >

Operation Drywater?

Notices

Operation Drywater?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Operation Drywater?

So did anyone run into "extra" law enforcement this weekend?
I didn't see any water cops (TWRA/Coast Guard/etc) on OH Friday, and only 1 of the regular TWRA boats at PP Saturday.
Looked like a lot of "noise" without much substance to me. Maybe that's a good thing, or could it be leading up to "Operation Smackdown" this weekend?
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed - they must be saving those budget dollars for this weekend. My wife's theory is that they have the old bait and switch technique at work. I am more worried about the holiday weekend warriors who don't have a clue than I am of the water patrols. Wonder which hapless family or kids out of gas on their jet ski I will tow to a boat ramp this year?

RP
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Registered

they were there but they were all at Anderson rd swimming area due to the drowning. i went by them at 6pm and 4 twra ,2 park rangers, and 1 fire boat were all there at the swimming area...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Registered

This was the press release that TWRA gave out Sunday. Looks as if they had a little different approach that the Ky boys did. They arrested 20 on Ky Lake alone!

-Off the NET NEWSERVICE WIRE-

It was a lot of checking with very little enforcement and that is exactly how Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officers wanted Operation “Dry Water” to go.

“We checked approximately 100 boats from Friday evening into the evening on Sunday,” TWRA Boating Enforcement Agent George Birdwell said. “There were several field sobriety checks performed, and in our area only two people were arrested for boating under the influence or BUI. Both of those arrests occurred on Boone Lake.”

TWRA officials conducted the operation statewide over the weekend in an effort to keep people from endangering themselves and others on the waterways. This weekend was not as much a kickoff to the summer as an increase in patrols and media exposure to raise awareness. The weekend boating traffic would normally have been much heavier than it was, in part due to the weather.

“Weather was not the best and that meant decreased activity,” Birdwell said. “There was some rain Friday and then today it stopped the usual heavy Sunday crowd but there was plenty of activity on Saturday.”

TWRA patrols were in all areas of lakes across the state over the course of the weekend and they focused their efforts particularly around marinas where food and drink are sold to make sure those drinking alcoholic beverages at the marinas were not getting in a boat to head home.

“We were pleasantly surprised to observe the vast majority of boaters in and around marinas using designated drivers to get them where they were going,” Birdwell said. “We like to credit people for using good common sense and also like to think it has something to do with folks passing the boating safety course or perhaps paying attention to all of the good media coverage on this sort of thing. Whatever the reason, when people use sound judgment, like we saw this weekend, it makes the waterways safer for everybody involved.”

TWRA and local law enforcement plan to team up and keep patrol levels as frequent as possible throughout the summer months.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Registered

Dont worry guys. Apparently I am taking the heat off you. The last 3 times I have been out I got stopped for a "safety" check. Now when I pass them I'm just going to have everyone on board hold up a life jacket, and I will hold up the fire extiguisher.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tow-N-One
Dont worry guys. Apparently I am taking the heat off you. The last 3 times I have been out I got stopped for a "safety" check. Now when I pass them I'm just going to have everyone on board hold up a life jacket, and I will hold up the fire extiguisher.
I guess TWRA has a good eye for trouble makers ..............