The B.S. Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan-man
Wow !!! lowered the price again, someone please snatch this up

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2051231
Why don't you trade the Trojan in on it?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah why don't ya?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't beleive it is only 42 days till hurricane season again.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I can't beleive it is only 42 days till hurricane season again.
I better start building my bunker now.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

How was the run yesterday?

Got any pics for us less fortunate ones?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

The Shoot Out run yesterday kicked some arse. Sunny skies and semi smooth water. Wet Dream ran great and smoked some big boys (Creed put them in the wall). I lost, of coarse. A pair of tens is good enough to have your card thrown in the trash. I did hear that Wicked Willie and the boys brought home third place.The debris was minimal but I did hear that one of the 35 Fountains got one skeg knocked off by a floating telephone pole. Good times.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Conflicts arise at Del Lago

La Torretta Del Lago Resort opened in November on Lake Conroe but still has some ongoing construction projects. A number of subcontractors have filed liens against the property for nonpayment of services.

By Howard Roden
Updated: 04.18.09
Friday was payroll day for plumber Royce Jones. But not all the money he received was headed to his personal bank account.

The owner of RJ Plumbing, Jones was a subcontractor last fall on the renovation of La Torretta Del Lago Resort and Spa, which opened on Lake Conroe last November. Times were good for Jones back then, as he was employing around 25 plumbers and helpers.

However, things changed just before Thanksgiving. Jones said Ewing Construction Inc. of Corpus Christi – one of the general contractors hired to oversee the La Torretta project – refused to pay him. When Jones refused to work until he was paid, he said Ewing officials replaced him with another subcontractor.

The switch came after Jones had issued payroll checks totaling around $7,000.

“This has never happened to me before,” said Jones, who has been in Montgomery County the past three years.

Jones and his attorney David Rhodes, of Montgomery, filed a lien affidavit against Ewing, claiming the company owed around $115,000 for labor and materials. The filing also included a claim against the Del Lago property, which is customary whenever construction disputes arise.

Claiming the situation has left him nearly bankrupt, Jones, who lives in April Sound, said he’s working with the Montgomery County’s Worthless Checks Division to make good on the checks he wrote.

Jones said he needs to come up with at least $1,000 Monday, or the matter will be turned over to the District Attorney’s Office.

“They (the DA’s Office) have been working with me, but the people where the checks were cashed are getting impatient,” he said. “I’m hoping I can get the money.”

Jones’ payroll situation notwithstanding, his business is one of more than a dozen that have filed liens on the La Torretta Del Lago property through the County Clerk’s Office. Although claims at one point surpassed $2.5 million, the amount remains a moving target as some vendors have agreed to settlements with Del Lago owner Ronnie Ben-Zur. Others say they’re going to file additional claims.

Stressing he’s financially current with Ewing, Ben-Zur voiced dissatisfaction with the construction firm that has branch offices in Houston, San Antonio, McAllen and Dallas. He said Ewing is months behind on its contractual schedule, 20 percent of the rooms in the resort’s 21-story tower remain unfinished and a fourth elevator is not operational.

“We do have issues with Ewing,” he said. “These delays have caused us problems at great expense.”

The majority of lien affidavits filed regarding La Torretta Del Lago involve disputes between Ewing and its sub-contractors, Ben-Zur said.

Ben-Zur said he has spent a significant amount of money to make certain resort guests are unaware of the ongoing construction. The construction delay is “huge,” he said.

“It means we can’t book the entire hotel,” said Ben-Zur, adding the facility’s occupancy is “running low.”

Ben-Zur said Ewing officials have not given him a reason why some of their subcontractors have not been paid.

“It is a concern for us,” he said.

Repeated phone calls by The Courier to Bryan Stone, Ewing’s general counsel in Corpus Christi, have gone unanswered.

Ewing purchased a performance bond with Liberty Mutual Surety for its share of the project, believed to be in the range of $35 million. Any claims against Ben-Zur and French Quarter would be paid through the bond.

Liberty Mutual spokesman Chris Goetcheus said it is the company’s policy not to comment on the performance of Ewing Construction.

Ewing is not the only general contractor involved in a dispute with Ben-Zur. He has filed for arbitration with Majestic Palms Nursery and Landscapes, of Conroe, the project’s general contractor for landscaping and irrigation.

Ben-Zur fired Majestic in late January, citing delays and the company’s failure to pay its subcontractors, Majestic owner Mark Weightman said. Ben-Zur said Majestic had done “a lousy job” and he will have to spend arounds $200,000 out of his pocket to fix problems Majestic left behind.

Weightman’s attorney, Fritz Barnett, of Houston, denied Ben-Zur’s claim and said Ben-Zur owes $600,000 remaining on a $3.4 million contract.

“They said they were displeased with the services and we weren’t timely, which we believe is untrue,” Barnett said. “We believe they are excuses not to pay.”

Ben-Zur has offered settlements to a number of Majestic’s subcontractors, which some have accepted.

Dusty Adams owns Pool Custom Ironworks. He filed a lien affidavit for $43,947 but accepted a $32,000 settlement from Ben-Zur and agreed do more work at La Torretta Del Lago. Majestic has agreed to release its lien against Del Lago for those subcontractors who agree to a settlement.

“It’s better than not having anything,” Adams said of the settlement. “He (Ben-Zur) said there’s not enough money left in Majestic’s contract (to pay 100 percent). That contradicts what Mark has said, but I’ve got my own business to worry about.

“It’s kind of a weird situation because Mark has been forthcoming, and I feel Ronnie has done the same. Once I get my money, I’m washing my hands of the situation.”

Other Majestic subcontractors have refused Ben-Zur’s offer. Brad Walker, owner of Walker Grass and Tree Farm in Crosby, said a two-thirds offer of his lien amount of $36,411.09 would not cover his expenses for the grass he delivered to the resort.

“I feel like he (Ben-Zur) is just trying to get as much as he can and paying for as little as he can,” Walker said. “He has materials on his property he hasn’t paid for.”

That sentiment is shared by Bill Crawford, owner of American Nursery and Tree Farm in Magnolia. Crawford, who filed a lien affidavit for $118,937.12 for plants and trees delivered to the resort, said he was offered only $30,000.

“He said he didn’t have the money in the project and he wanted to renegotiate with everybody, but I’m not doing that,” Crawford said.

David Rhodes, who also represents Walker and Crawford, said his clients were giving Ben-Zur until the end of the month to pay the lien amounts, or they would seek foreclosure on the actual properties to “satisfy the debts,” Rhodes said.

Crawford said that if French Quarter VIII doesn’t respond by May 1, he may go to La Torretta Del Lago and “try to pick up some plants.”

Although Ben-Zur said his company, French Quarter VIII LLP was “sitting” on millions of dollars in credit, “it doesn’t mean I can spent it willy-nilly,” he said. “I’ve already paid Majestic for their subs. They can file a lien and fight this thing, but I can’t pay them twice.”
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Nice. Conroe/Montgomery trade wanting his money up front before the job is finished.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I really didn't read much in the article that doesn't happen on most big jobs like that.

That is why the guy took out a 35million lean protection policy.

I think it sucks that Del Lago is getting all this bad press.

A certain drama type person from the club who will remain unnamed here, thinks that this will shut them down and we won't be able to have our poker run there and "now what are we going to do"?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BLAH BLAH BLAH. Party at Jeffs house!!!

Not sure but a few certain people would be happy with an above ground pool at Club 105!!

Quick Reply: The B.S. Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.