Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=3919
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jeffro...are these the guys that slowed payed you on that old bucket you were driving??

Jury awards $105K in car consignment lawsuit

By Lucretia Cardenas
Updated: 10.08.09
A Montgomery County jury in County Court-at-Law 2 awarded $105,000 in damages Thursday to a Washington state woman who sued a local car auction business for misleading her about the condition of a car she bought in 2006.

During closing arguments Thursday, attorney Christopher Beck told jurors that Classic Car Consignment and Auction in Conroe, owned by Lyn Hawthorne, misled his client, Judy Fenton. When Fenton came to Texas to visit her cousin in March 2006, she went to the Conroe car dealership, fell in love with a Packard on sale and inquired about it, he said.

The salesman, Stephen Craig Wood, told her the car “runs like a champ,” Beck said.

Fenton returned home to Washington. Determined to buy the vehicle, she called a number Wood gave her and said she could offer $5,000 for the vehicle, which was accepted, Beck said. She was given an account number so she could wire the money, which she did.

But when Fenton went to pick up the car, she couldn’t drive it off the lot, Beck told jurors. She asked for her money back because the car didn’t live up to what Wood and the advertisement said about its condition.

Classic Car Consignment and Auction later resold the vehicle for $7,500 after fixing it up.

In 2008, in response to the ongoing lawsuit filed by Fenton in July 2006, the car dealership stated that it never received her $5,000 payment and therefore was not responsible. Beck argued that the dealership was responsible because Wood was representing them.

If Classic Car Consignment and Auction did not receive the money from Wood, Beck said, “That’s an issue between the dealership and Wood.”

“If Craig Wood did something wrong, he did something wrong to CCA, not to Judy Fenton,” Beck said. “… It’s not her fault she got ripped off.”

Beck asked jurors to grant Fenton her $5,000 plus any additional damages they believed she deserved.

Attorney Gary Beauchamp, representing Classic Car, argued that Fenton did not act as a responsible buyer. She shouldn’t have purchased a 50-year-old car without test driving it or having a mechanic inspect it, he said.

And when she received a copy of the wire transfer transaction, Beauchamp said, red flags should have been raised when she saw that the money went into Wood’s account instead of the dealership’s.

“They have nothing to prove that the car didn’t run and … when you get the transfer back and it says Craig Wood, I’d be on the phone,” Beauchamp said.

Wood was an independent contractor, not an employee, Beauchamp said, therefore, Classic Car Consignment and Auction should not be responsible for any of his wrongdoings.

Wood and his son Geoffrey Taylor Wood are facing multiple felony theft charges in the 359th state District Court. Their cases stem from complaints against their business, Classic Cars in Conroe, which they opened after leaving Hawthorne’s dealership. Multiple law enforcement agencies shut down the business in August 2008.

Stephen Craig Wood and Geoffrey Taylor Wood have a trial setting date in December.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Jeffro...are these the guys that slowed payed you on that old bucket you were driving??

Jury awards $105K in car consignment lawsuit

By Lucretia Cardenas
Updated: 10.08.09
A Montgomery County jury in County Court-at-Law 2 awarded $105,000 in damages Thursday to a Washington state woman who sued a local car auction business for misleading her about the condition of a car she bought in 2006.

During closing arguments Thursday, attorney Christopher Beck told jurors that Classic Car Consignment and Auction in Conroe, owned by Lyn Hawthorne, misled his client, Judy Fenton. When Fenton came to Texas to visit her cousin in March 2006, she went to the Conroe car dealership, fell in love with a Packard on sale and inquired about it, he said.

The salesman, Stephen Craig Wood, told her the car “runs like a champ,” Beck said.

Fenton returned home to Washington. Determined to buy the vehicle, she called a number Wood gave her and said she could offer $5,000 for the vehicle, which was accepted, Beck said. She was given an account number so she could wire the money, which she did.

But when Fenton went to pick up the car, she couldn’t drive it off the lot, Beck told jurors. She asked for her money back because the car didn’t live up to what Wood and the advertisement said about its condition.

Classic Car Consignment and Auction later resold the vehicle for $7,500 after fixing it up.

In 2008, in response to the ongoing lawsuit filed by Fenton in July 2006, the car dealership stated that it never received her $5,000 payment and therefore was not responsible. Beck argued that the dealership was responsible because Wood was representing them.

If Classic Car Consignment and Auction did not receive the money from Wood, Beck said, “That’s an issue between the dealership and Wood.”

“If Craig Wood did something wrong, he did something wrong to CCA, not to Judy Fenton,” Beck said. “… It’s not her fault she got ripped off.”

Beck asked jurors to grant Fenton her $5,000 plus any additional damages they believed she deserved.

Attorney Gary Beauchamp, representing Classic Car, argued that Fenton did not act as a responsible buyer. She shouldn’t have purchased a 50-year-old car without test driving it or having a mechanic inspect it, he said.

And when she received a copy of the wire transfer transaction, Beauchamp said, red flags should have been raised when she saw that the money went into Wood’s account instead of the dealership’s.

“They have nothing to prove that the car didn’t run and … when you get the transfer back and it says Craig Wood, I’d be on the phone,” Beauchamp said.

Wood was an independent contractor, not an employee, Beauchamp said, therefore, Classic Car Consignment and Auction should not be responsible for any of his wrongdoings.

Wood and his son Geoffrey Taylor Wood are facing multiple felony theft charges in the 359th state District Court. Their cases stem from complaints against their business, Classic Cars in Conroe, which they opened after leaving Hawthorne’s dealership. Multiple law enforcement agencies shut down the business in August 2008.

Stephen Craig Wood and Geoffrey Taylor Wood have a trial setting date in December.
yeah that's them. I got my money, but the bounced checks and late fees are still hauting me from those guys.

The poor guy they sold that car to needs to know about this so he can get his piece of their azz also for what they did to him.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Less than 7 hours till the wedding blasts off. Woohoo. Weather is suposed to be clearing out nicely by then.

5pm. 72degress and sunny skys

Last edited by jeff1000man; 10-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mark Frazier's 27' Magnum hit conroe this morning. I heard something ripping it up a few minutes ago over on the Del Lago side, and then I heard it sneak up on Pappa's.

It is running bad ass. twin 400 Small blocks making 450+ per side. Straight stellings coming out over the transom.

Very nice
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Mark Frazier's 27' Magnum hit conroe this morning. I heard something ripping it up a few minutes ago over on the Del Lago side, and then I heard it sneak up on Pappa's.

It is running bad ass. twin 400 Small blocks making 450+ per side. Straight stellings coming out over the transom.

Very nice
i am sure it like this nice cold weather.....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
nice....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
i am sure it like this nice cold weather.....
It looked like a noisy white ghost coming out of the mist.

My poetic moment for the day.

Quick Reply: The B.S. Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.