Notices

Floor jacks for trailers?

Old 05-14-2005, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Floor jacks for trailers?

I'm going to be picking up my new trailer in a week or so and want to buy a floor jack before my trip. I know that I should never say it, but I've never had a trailer flat. Jeg's has the "Nascar type" aluminum jacks that have a 3000 lb or 4000 lb. capacity. They also sell a 7000 lb. capacity one. Which one should I buy for a 15,000 capacity aluminum trailer.

Next question...Will one of these floor jacks even work on a trailer with torsion axles??? Where do you jack it up from if you get a flat? I remember someone saying that they made some kind of contraption with 2X4's and 4X4's and they would back the trailer onto it to change flat tires.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 05-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Floor jacks for trailers?

I just got back from a 1300 mile trip. 200 miles in I got a flat. (front left trailer) I tried the 2x4 and 4x4 didnt work great for me. I ended up using the jack from the chevy dually I was using. it only took me about 15 minutes.
make sure you have the right size lug wrench. if your going on a long trip. 2 spares might not be a bad Idea. check your hubs and tires often.

good luck
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used a floor jack on my torsions. No problem, it does have to lift a bit higher to unspring the wheel. Put the jack right under the frame/axle attachment point. You will be lifting alot more weight than if a leaf spring trailer, basically the WHOLE side, so a couple of 2x4's under the good wheel will help. I would go for the biggest jack. The 3 & 4k jacks may not cut it when the weight of the boat is included.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-14-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a 20k bottle jack and have used it a few times with no issues. It was also easy to pump up and did not feel strained.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottle jacks are a good idea for things like this. They are not as fast to use, but the stow alot easier, they are easier to get in and out fo a tool box are truck bed, and they come in huge capacities. I have two 80 ton jacks in my truck for work and they are only about 10 inched in diamater. I would just go with a 10 ton bottle jack if i were you. It will be about 5 inches around and weigh 10-20 pounds.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Craig, I just picked up a 12 Ton Bottle Jack from Harbor Freight Tools in Woodbridge:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5533

You are going to want a bottle jack with a torsion axle trailer. You can actually place the lifting pad of the bottle directly (like almost touching) the back the of the spindle and lift the spindle directly up, so as to not really lift and torque the trailer way out of shape to get a wheel off the ground. Lowes also sells some 12x12" steel plates which I have nine of for parking on soft ground, tongue stand placement, and specifically bottle jack placement when needed. It all fits nicely in the toolbox. The bottle jack is also MUCH easier to store than the floor jack. Highly recommend this route.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Craig a friend and I just went on a trip I won't say his name but I think you know who it is. Well we had to change a tire and the floor jack that we brought would not even budge it. We ended up using the jack from the truck with a 4x4. So I would highly recommend getting a good bottle jack plus they are a whole lot cheaper, and just keep some 2x4's and 4x4's with you because you just never know where you just might have to change one.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by carter31
Hey Craig a friend and I just went on a trip I won't say his name but I think you know who it is. Well we had to change a tire and the floor jack that we brought would not even budge it. We ended up using the jack from the truck with a 4x4. So I would highly recommend getting a good bottle jack plus they are a whole lot cheaper, and just keep some 2x4's and 4x4's with you because you just never know where you just might have to change one.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Bottle of Jack??? Hell I'm in
Old 05-15-2005, 09:51 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
I went with a 20k bottle jack and have used it a few times with no issues. It was also easy to pump up and did not feel strained.
Did the same with 2x4's and 4x4's,all of it fits in the trailer storage boxes i installed on front of trailer.

Quick Reply: Floor jacks for trailers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.