Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ford Excursion Question

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
New to my excursion here
what are the V code springs?
I have a 2000 with the V10
I am sure the comment on towing in overdrive is only for the Desiel motors
V code are a stronger spring than what comes stock on the PSD X. There was only one inch between the front axle and the bump stops with the stock springs, and the bottoming out just driving down the street was awful. If you have clearance issues too, you should consider stronger springs, but may want a U or a T if it's available.

The PSD X weighs 4000 lbs on the front axle, and another 4000 on the rear, for a total of 8000lbs. What does your gas Excursion weigh on each axle?

And no, the comment on towing in overdrive is for ALL, not just for PSD's.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
V code are a stronger spring than what comes stock on the PSD X. There was only one inch between the front axle and the bump stops with the stock springs, and the bottoming out just driving down the street was awful. If you have clearance issues too, you should consider stronger springs, but may want a U or a T if it's available.

The PSD X weighs 4000 lbs on the front axle, and another 4000 on the rear, for a total of 8000lbs. What does your gas Excursion weigh on each axle?

And no, the comment on towing in overdrive is for ALL, not just for PSD's.
Thanks Buddy,
I might look into this because there ahs been a couple times in the last two weeks I have bottomed out the front
Mostly on driveways too fast
So you are saying I can too my 8,500lb boat in overdrive with the V10?
Real leary about trying that.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered

Pretty sure your's is the same tranny as the PSD's. Not the strongest tranny, but adequate. What is your concern pulling your boat in OD with a V10? Do you want the engine in a higher RPM range for pulling?

For more info on the springs, go the www.thedieselstop.com , forums, excursion, and search for posts by Bruce1954. He's done much engineering research on spring rates, weight capacities, and amount of lift different springs raise the front of a PSD X. Once you weigh your X on a truck stop scale, you'll know what each axle weighs, and you can adjust his info to determine what spring is best for you.

But first, consider either cutting down the bump stops in half, or replacing with later model ones that are smaller and softer. Might save you the trouble of replacing springs.

Finally, one of the best mods I've done were the radius rods by LandYacht. They allow the sway bar and shocks to work so much better, and reduced steering wonder while improving the rough bump ride. Plus they made my whites whiter Really, they were one of the last mods I did, and now I wish they were one of the first.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I am new to towing with a PSD EX. Mine is an 02 with a mild lift and 305 70 16 tires. I pull a 9000lb 31 ft cat. I hear about sway bars and other suspension accessories...what do I need? My current springs are beefy with several leafs up front and add a leafs in back, the weight seems to not be an issue. There is some sway, that never getts too bad, but could this be helped? I do have some new Pro Comp shocks to install as the ones on it look bad. Currently my trailer does not have much tongue weight and I will increase it. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Registered

Greencard: A lift is a wild card, but, you should not need to change your front springs. (That's assuming the extra springs in front help carry the load, and are not just spacers raising the stock springs higher off the axle.) The shocks are a good idea. And an Anti-sway bar is never a bad idea. But the bottom line is: If you're happy with it - great! Personally, I never felt too much sway before adding the bar, and did so for emergency lane changes. Did not notice much change after, and was disappointed. But after adding the ladder bars - WOW! They really let the sway bar do it's job, and now it corners almost as flat as the wifes BMW with kind of tired shocks (ever priced the load-leveling BMW shocks? OUCH!!! You'd think they were for a boat!)

How wide are your wheels for the 305 70 16 tires?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Ford Excursion Question

Chart, my rims are 10 inchs wide, and the current spring set up front has never bottomed out. From what I gather the rear sway bar is the one to add, is there a preferred mfg?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by greencard
Chart, my rims are 10 inchs wide, and the current spring set up front has never bottomed out. From what I gather the rear sway bar is the one to add, is there a preferred mfg?
Then you are probably good up front. Most use Helweig(sp?) rear anti sway bar. Not a hard install. I bought mine from Buck183 here on OSO. He owns a truck parts store in Arkansas, and was very good to work with.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Pretty sure your's is the same tranny as the PSD's. Not the strongest tranny, but adequate. What is your concern pulling your boat in OD with a V10? Do you want the engine in a higher RPM range for pulling?

For more info on the springs, go the www.thedieselstop.com , forums, excursion, and search for posts by Bruce1954. He's done much engineering research on spring rates, weight capacities, and amount of lift different springs raise the front of a PSD X. Once you weigh your X on a truck stop scale, you'll know what each axle weighs, and you can adjust his info to determine what spring is best for you.

But first, consider either cutting down the bump stops in half, or replacing with later model ones that are smaller and softer. Might save you the trouble of replacing springs.

Finally, one of the best mods I've done were the radius rods by LandYacht. They allow the sway bar and shocks to work so much better, and reduced steering wonder while improving the rough bump ride. Plus they made my whites whiter Really, they were one of the last mods I did, and now I wish they were one of the first.
Chart, how much was the LandYot radius arms?
I was just reading up on them on another site and seem very interesting. However he does not show pricing and says they are not available until September
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

I remember the price in the $300's, but don't recall if that's 301 or 399. Keep in mind steel has gotten very expensive. Either way I'd do it again. Very high quality work. Keep in mind this is a guy doing this in his garage at home around his real job. The excursion pulls okay without the RR, but they make the whole driving experience nicer. If you are going to be a LOTO this summer, let me know in advance and we can meet up. That way you can inspect them first hand.