Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
O.T.  Dodge truck, o.d. unlocks to low rpm. >

O.T. Dodge truck, o.d. unlocks to low rpm.

Notices

O.T. Dodge truck, o.d. unlocks to low rpm.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.T. Dodge truck, o.d. unlocks to low rpm.

I have a 97 dodge 1500 with a 5.9L and an automatic tranny. The problem is that the o.d. is staying on at to low of rpms, check engine light comes on. Now it is kicking the o.d. off from getting hot. I have changed the fluid and the output speed sensor. nothing helps and problem is getting worse.
Anyone with any knowledge of this problem? I know I dont.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
JnT
Registered

Default Re: O.T. Dodge truck, o.d. unlocks to low rpm.

Ours is a 98 1500 with 5.2. Output shaft sensor went out towing the fish boat to Arkansas and exhibited similar probs. Had a bad shudder in OD running Dexron III after a trans flush at 50k. Make sure you use the Dodge fluid or equivalent. Flushed again with the Valvoline equivalent to the Dodge fluid at 60k. No probs til 127k miles. Trans started holding first gear longer and slipping going to second. Drove it like that another thousand miles and took to a good trans shop before it left us on the side of the road. 1600 dollars later I have a rebuilt tranny and converter warranted for 70k miles. I could have opted for the 1200 dollar rebuild warranted for 12k but chose to spend extra for what basicly is the same trans with an extended warranty. In order to qualify for the extended warranty I had to run an aftermarket trans cooler and bypass the factory cooler. Also there is a check valve inline on the lower factory cooler line. It was cut out and replaced by a magnetic inline filter. Apparently the factory coolers and check valve will fail and hurt trans badly. There is also an input sensor so go to Autozone and get them to pull the code(ITS FREE) to make sure its nothing horrible . I hope yours is the sensor.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildchild212
I have a 97 dodge 1500 with a 5.9L and an automatic tranny. The problem is that the o.d. is staying on at to low of rpms, check engine light comes on. Now it is kicking the o.d. off from getting hot. I have changed the fluid and the output speed sensor. nothing helps and problem is getting worse.
Anyone with any knowledge of this problem? I know I dont.
1st thing,when you unscrewed the original output sensor from rear of o/d unit(its plastic looking and has a 2 wire connector,its in front of t-case),was there a serious amount of metal on it? If there was no matter how many sensors or solenoids you change trans will still fail shortly.The factory cooling line inline checkball restricts the cooling oil flow and causes MANY overdrive sungear,low planetary,intermediate shaft etc failures.Next thing is have someone with a snapon or equivalant scanner check your governor pressure. The computer will show desired presure and actual presure read at the governore transducer/sensor in the transmission. The numbers on a gas engine are 1 psi per mph until you hit about 45 or 50,if actual governor presure reading is lagging behind by more than 4 or 5 psi then the governor pressure solenoid is becoming plugged up or going bad. The governor presure solenoid controls the gov pressure for the shifts to 2nd and 3rd gear along with the downshift cable position,the o/d solenoid is controlled by inputs from output speed sensor,tps position and other small engine variables,from what your describing it sounds like the solenoid is becoming plugged up. You can rxr the valve body on this trans easily in your driveway and change all the solenoids,sensors and harneses fairly easy if you have basic mechanical skills for about 250$ worth of parts,but again,if all the solenoids are plugging up and failing the trans is probably on its way out,if you want to call me for further info or advice i do this for a living and can walk you thru it,Smitty 989-823-7319-best time to call is between 8pm and midnight during wk

Last edited by articfriends; 06-23-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Registered

Thanks smitty> I will be giving you a call.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

My Dad had a 98 1500 with the 5.9. Sold it with 52K miles and never had a problem. Only towed a bassboat with it. 2 weeks later I find out the tranny went on the new owner. After asking around I kept hearing Dodge had alot of problems with the trannies in those trucks. That isn't much info, but all I know about them...Good Luck with it.