Notices

Dont Buy A Cat C7

Old 06-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont Buy A Cat C7

I spent a year trying to spec. out a HD truck that I could use for my Antiques business and to tow my boat north(Nantucket) in the spring,and south in the fall(Naples Fla.) I ordered a GMC 7500 Crew cab, Cat 250 HP 850 TQ with allison 6 speed. Took delivery Jan 15,'04. On the first trip south to Thomasville Ga. I had to spend 8hrs waiting while the cat dealer replaced an injection unit.Two months later I had to have the flywheel and starter replaced from missin ring gear teeth.A couple of momths later I parked the truck against the curb which caused a slight tilt/lean toward the hollow next to the curb. The tank on the up hill side sucked air because it only had 10/15 gals of 60 cap.Couldn't figure that one out. A couple of months later I got back from a show in Palm Beach andit had been rain the whole 1500 mi. The next day was dry and as I was going around the truck I noticed an oily film from the drivers door to the rear of the truck!! I called the dealer and was told there was a filter to go onto the crankcase breather to control this problem.That did'nt make sense to me, but thats what they did. Well on another trip a few months later, we had packed out of another Palm Beach show and hauling A to get to a show in Hunt Valley Md.We had just crossed the Fla./Ga. border ,going along at 70 when the truck FILLED with smoke so THICK you could'nt see the road. Somehow we got over to the shoulder,but we could'nt shut the motor off.The turbo had BLOWN and the oil to lube it was now becoming the fuel.Somehow we finally got the mtr. stopped. After packing the 24'box from 5pm. till 1am. then driving 5 hrs. out of Fla. we then had to get a Ryder and switch loads and still get to Hunt Valley for that show. Three days later after the truck was towed back to the cat dealer in Jacksonville and fixed (a turbo hose kept comming off on the trip north) I had to fly a driver down to drive back to Hunt Valley. Of course the Ryder,the miles,the reload help, the flight to Jville, the cab to the repair shop, the hours driving back,the meals,ETC,ETC, ARE N O T covered by warranty!!!!. This week While making pick ups for a trip to Nantucket the truck DIES AGAIN, That was Tuesday,Tonight Thursday,A fuel pump later I'm supposed to have it back in the morning. I've changed the ferry resi. to Nantucket twice, good thing I'm a regular or I wouldnt be able to change right before the 4th. SO THIS IS A $90,000. truck with the HI-TECH cat C-7 DON'T BUY ONE obads31
Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dont Buy A Cat C7

Aside from the fuel tank problem when it sucked air, it sounds like you have had alot of bad luck with that thing. The larger C series engines like the C15 are proving to be very reliablity but have heard that they are still having alot of problmes wiht the smaller ones. I hate to be the one to tell you this but with the duel saddle tank setup you should never let it get below 1/4 tank becuse they will have problems when parked in aleaning position, this isn't a CAT or GM problem it's the same with em all.