Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
4.30 Limited Slip on '06 Ford Dually >

4.30 Limited Slip on '06 Ford Dually

Notices

4.30 Limited Slip on '06 Ford Dually

Old 08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4.30 Limited Slip on '06 Ford Dually

I have the 05 F350 same package. I am getting 16-17 on the highway driving 79.. That is empty. Put my twin powered 28 cat behind it and it drops to 13-14...but that is only local driving. The truck doesn't even really know it is back there except the milage loss. Now I did add the banks bighoss bundle, it was good for 1mpg at those speeds....If i can keep out of the gas and drive slower i can see as high as 18. In florida diesel is the same as regular gas so it is definatley better than paying for gas. By the way i do drive this truck daily...and 16 around town is good for an 8000+ lb truck..better than any gas one...and better than my old 4.10 7.3......The 4.10 would add some miliage but from my friends with them are only seeing 20 if they are nice...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
Boomer:

If you want to go to a diesel for gas mileage reasons that really doesn't work. The improvement in gas mileage is offset by the investment cost.

The diesel pulling a load like that might get 12-13 mpg. The gas gets 9 mpg? Diesel fuel costs more than regular gas at this point, so your savings it not that much.

If you want more power buy a Hypertech or Predator tuner for about $ 300. These will give you about 5-10% more torque/hp. These engines also respond to an exhaust system. I put a Flowmaster dual in dual out w/ twin pipes and picked up about a 0.5 mpg on the highway and better response.

Wannabe
one of the trailer mags my inlaws get did a breakdown in the payback diesel vs gas and it was around 80k before you broke even BUT i have had gas trucks before and around here(in mi with every one working for the big 3 and getting the discount) typically when you sell a gas truck it goes for 3-5 thousand under blue book trade ,my 94 dually gas chevy was mint w/60 k and a banks kit and it took a year to sell,ended up selling to a car lot for 5k under trade when it was 5 years old. I had same experience w/99 dodge gas truck. When i sold my 02 duramax i got 2k under blue book list in one day! There is much better resale for diesl trucks compared to gas,Smitty
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
one of the trailer mags my inlaws get did a breakdown in the payback diesel vs gas and it was around 80k before you broke even BUT i have had gas trucks before and around here(in mi with every one working for the big 3 and getting the discount) typically when you sell a gas truck it goes for 3-5 thousand under blue book trade ,my 94 dually gas chevy was mint w/60 k and a banks kit and it took a year to sell,ended up selling to a car lot for 5k under trade when it was 5 years old. I had same experience w/99 dodge gas truck. When i sold my 02 duramax i got 2k under blue book list in one day! There is much better resale for diesl trucks compared to gas,Smitty

Resale will probably be the biggest benefit of owning a desiel. I noticed the Excursions with the PSD are in the trader for full retail if not better. I also like the power of the PSD, it seems like the torque range is alot smoother than the the v10 too.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBODaytona
I have the 05 F350 same package. I am getting 16-17 on the highway driving 79.. That is empty. Put my twin powered 28 cat behind it and it drops to 13-14...but that is only local driving. The truck doesn't even really know it is back there except the mileage loss. Now I did add the banks bighoss bundle, it was good for 1mpg at those speeds....If i can keep out of the gas and drive slower i can see as high as 18. In Florida diesel is the same as regular gas so it is definitely better than paying for gas. By the way i do drive this truck daily...and 16 around town is good for an 8000+ lb truck..better than any gas one...and better than my old 4.10 7.3........
I had a 2002 F-450 dually with the 4.30 limited slip rear and these are the same kinda numbers that I was seeing. As for top speed, I tried it once on I-95 without towing the boat and it was 95mph flat out and screaming. That was plenty fast for me in a truck. Besides, I never towed that fast so the top speed never mattered anyway. I always tell people if you are looking for speed, buy a sports car not a truck. This 450 was my daily driver and I did not have any problems with it. I do a lot of towing and I was also racing at the time, pulling a 38' Top Gun and then a 36' Gladiator. That truck was a towing machine! The 4.30 gears made the engine tach a little higher on the highway, but they also made it pull a trailer like it was not even there!

I would say that your best bet is to go and drive the truck. Run it down the highway and see if it is what you are looking for and if it is something that you can live with.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
This one has the 15K hitch upgrade.

I added a Titon hitch to my Yukon XL for added capacity.

Anyone else with input? Seems like most trucks are either 4.10 or 3.73. I do like the limited slip differential option.
I had a 03 ford f 350 daully 4 wheel drive with the 373 gears, pulled a 42 Fountain like it didnt know it was back there,6.0 powerstroke, great truck,no complaints