Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership? >

Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership?

Notices

Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership?

Old 08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership?

Sweetie is wanting a sporty, affordable, somewhat economical car to zip around town in. Since I just happen to be in the automotive aftermarker for my living I want something I can accessorize to represent the business. I don't want something main stream that she will meet coming and going everyday. The Mini has kind of caught my eye. I've driven a couple while working on them for customers and they seem like a neat little car. She puts 8-10 thousand miles a year on a vehicle so it's not like we will be living in it.

Has anyone had any experience owning one? Reliability, economy, value and so on.

The only thing that's jumping out at me right now is the small dealer network in my surrounding area. The factory warranty looks to be pretty good, even on used units. But they have to go to an authorized Mini dealer for warranty and repairs. Closest one to us is at least 200 miles away. This is the only speedbump for me right now.

Keep in mind I'm not looking for everyone's opinion of which car they would buy. I just want feedback on this particular car.

Buck
Old 08-12-2005, 04:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership?

Buck, I do clear bras on every mini at a local dealer, and I have to admit the car has won me over. The S model is a little pocket rocket that handles like a dream. With a few of the kits that are coming out for the supercharger they are taking them to over 200 hp. When the deealership has "mini night" as a customer appreciation the owners get out and autocross them. I say an S, throw some 19's on it and a spring kit and let her eat. If you do get it I'll hook you up with a clearbra person in your area....Rob
Old 08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reply OSD. Those have been my thoughts on the car too.

As for the nearest dealer on the clear bra. That may very well be me in the near future. We have considered adding this service to our business. The demand isn't quite there yet in our area. Of course, as a retailer that would be my responsibility to make sure the customers want it even if they think they don't.

Buck
Old 08-12-2005, 08:20 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Doc John here has one he has the S model and has put all the factory upgrades added to the supercharger.

I did a 300 mile trip with him and we are both over 6'3" and the thing was hauling the mail and comfortable as heck. We were running 100 mph pretty much all the way.

He loves it, then again he owns a catamaran...

We'll see how he does in an autcross against my 911 next month.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister has one. At this point, I could say "nuff said" because she's blond and has a collection of Gucci bags but I'll go on:

These cars are supremely uncomfortable. Hard suspension rattles every bone in your body. If you have a back problem and roads around you are not in A1 shape, this vehicle can become a source of pain. Quite why the suspension is so hard is something I fail to understand since they were primarily intended to be driven around town. Owning one in NYC must suck.

They are also horribly noisy. My sister has the sports exhaust on hers and it sounds like a group N rally car. In other words, like a souped-up Honda Civic. In other words, I don't like it...

Finally, performance has not conquered me. A car this small with 170hp. in S version should be faster. Engine feels lethargic, my feeling is that the reason is crap box ratios. Apparently, this has been modified on latest versions. Have not driven that one.

My opinion: get yourself a proper car...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

Buck, you'll look real ***king cute in that car I'll come visit, and we can strap the golf clubs on the roof, and terrorize the Hill
Old 08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

I did a 300 mile trip with him and we are both over 6'3" and the thing was hauling the mail and comfortable as heck. We were running 100 mph pretty much all the way.
Were you guys driving with your heads out of the sunroof???
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

I was surprised too, I'm 6'4" and there is plenty of room in there, driving them to me is very comfortable., like a go cart.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I was surprised too, My date was 6'4" and 240lbs, there is not enough room in the back for a 69 though .
Old 08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44

offshore - pay him no mind, he's trolling for dates again. Tall men, but dates any ways

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper...Anyone have experience with ownership?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.