Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition? >

6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition?

Notices

6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition?

Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition?

Being one to never jump into anything without proper research, I researched myself right out of time for ordering my new X. I did find and buy a new 2005 Excursion Limited 6.0 with every option but one............a block heater, go figure. Being the pain in the arse perfectionist I am and since I vacation in the mountains in the winter and like the fact of having it if I need it, I am now "researching" the possibility of adding the block heater. Does anyone know if this is this possible, or have any experience in the process of doing so?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition?

I can't add anything about aftermarket but can say I would have to think it would be better than nothing. Have you ever tried to fire one up under 20*
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can ad one but you would be better of with an aftermarket one then getting the factory setup, it's not that the factory unit doesn't work well though. The factory heater is installed in place of a casting plug(they are not freeze plugs, can we stop calling them that already) it is a total pain in the a$$ to install in the truck if you can do it at all. Some of the aftermarket units go in other much more accesible places like the stat housing.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's already there.. The "block heater" option adds the power cord to the vehicle..

50ish bucks @ your dealer.....
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered

Scott B, I sure hope your right. I'll check that out on Monday. It sounds like too easy of a fix for my luck, since I live with that guy Murphy in my pocket. I just can't understand why someone would order a diesel without the heater, especially at $35.00. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:41 PM

I have been in 10 degrees F with windchill of -35F and my 6.0 started up no problem. surged for about a second till it got oil pressure than idle fine to warm up. Everyone says the 6.0 doesn't need a block heater. I have never used mine and it has never not started.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

Look above the starter...

All 2005 F-Series and Excursions with the 6.0 PowerStroke have a block heater installed on the engine. However, the cord for the block heater must be ordered as an option (code 41H). The cord is installed on vehicles originally sold in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missori, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming. Broadcast Message 1512, 3090.

Last edited by Scott B; 10-08-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

You know what; I used the one in my dually two or three times in probably 15 weeks total frigid time the four years I owned it. Did I really need it those times? Probably not. But you never know what it could be. Plus I've gotten used to packing 100 foot of extension cord for my trips and coiling it after it sat in the snow for a week.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered

LOL, I plug mine in here in Miamuh once in awhile when it drops below 60... I figure you have to test it once in awhile

Did ya hear the news? Canes have a backup qback for a change!!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Yes they do, and it’s a wonderful thing. The whole team looked good yesterday, and they should have playing Duck, I mean Duke. GO CANES!

As for the heater, I usually spend three weeks or so in the Smoky Mountains each winter in a very remote cabin at about 4000 feet. I’ve seen 70 degrees and I’ve seen sub-zero. Sometimes in what seemed like the same day. LOL. One thing for sure, I don’t want to be stuck in a cabin three plus miles from the nearest road with my wife and kid after the truck wouldn’t start. Lets just say that daddy wouldn’t be anyone’s favorite person.

Quick Reply: 6.0 PSD Block Heater - Retrofit / Addition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.