Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with? >

What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Notices

What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

1979 Isuzu Pup 4 cylinder, Diesal, 2 wheel drive. 24 Foot Sonic with Twin Clip-owns. Does fine.

LE...your a p***y

Last edited by johnpittman; 11-03-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT
I read all your replies on the subject, and you seem well versed on the topic. If you read back a bit on this tread you'll realize my combo is one of the setups in question(not to relive the past two weeks, painful). I know my setup is less then the safest, but it's hardly "grossly overloaded". Save the response, I heard it all already, a new truck will debut next year. Just didn't appreciate the a$$hole comment. Insult to injury kind of thing, you know...

I apologize for the a$$hole comment. It was impolite and not of my general nature as those that know me would attest. Not to excuse my behavior but I meant it in general- directed to anyone who tows overweight and justifies endangering others with rationalizations like "Just a few times/short distance/etc." It was not meant to be directed to you specifically but again, uncalled for.

I'm somewhat sensitive to trailering issues being a survivor of rolling a large boat and pull rig (properly sized) caused by someone else's highway hijinks. That coupled with the fact that Tuesday afternoon I was almost killed by a cartwheeling Bobcat at 70 MPH.

This %$#@%! contractor passed me on I-77 at about 80, cut in front of me and 15 seconds later experienced a blowout on his ratty lo-boy trailer. Of course, the Bobcat was not fastened- just sitting on the trailer. As he was swaying across 3 lanes he tossed the Bobcat overboard. Looked like something out of a NASCAR crash video. All 3 feet in front of me.

I would- as with the rest of the fine folks at OSO- urge you not to pull anything beyond your rig's capabilities. There's lots of us out here around Northern Ohio and I'm sure one or more of us would be more than happy to move your boat for you if you find yourself in a bind.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

CS, no problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnpittman
1979 Isuzu Pup 4 cylinder, Diesal, 2 wheel drive. 24 Foot Sonic with Twin Clip-owns. Does fine.

LE...your a p***y

ha ha ha, you are just messin with me right?? ha ha ha.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Registered

No...I am serious. Your are being a P***Y
Old 11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by License To Thrill

And don't forget the hydraulic drive guard. You don't want some idiot ramming those drives do you?
Yeah I do - that will give me an excuse to upgrade
Old 11-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Registered

1995 Kodiak 4 Door Monroe Conversion, 3116 Cat, Allison, Air Ride, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes. 38' Scarab 14,000 Lbs For Boat And Trailer Dry, No Problem. Almost Forgot The Truck Has Had A Drink.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Registered

Gunna defend LE on his use of the lightning as a tow rig.. the difference in older (pre 99) ford frames is length.. and cross member amount.. I have an F250 PSD that is a 1996, took a Crownline Express Cruiser (21K BEFORE TRAILER) went ACROSS COUNTRY 5400 miles, hit EVERY weigh station at 34000+ truck and trailer combined All the DOT checked was Axle loading which WAS LEGAL acording to Tire Load Capacity was carrying 7K on front axle, 7.5K on rear axle, and remainder on trailer... truck empty weighs 7900.. They made sure I was using a 30K rated ball, reciever mount , and the proper frame crossmember stiffeners.. Got the weight ticket to prove it.. Onlything I had to have was an extended weight permit and a CDL and a DOT inspection PRIOR to begining the trip.. 26 weigh stations, 19 tech inspections and 42 respectful handshakes from DOT was all I ever got on a 5400 mile trip...

That lightning will pull about 7500 Lbs on its own and if bigger breaks are needed EVER HEAR OF 15" WILLWOODS.... I dont know of any stock trucks with breaks that are exactilly AWESOME and the lightning has better breaking than a F350.. Axle and suspension Swaps are cheaper than a 50K new truck and NOT EVERYBODY that has a 35+' boat can necessarily drop 50K or more every 2 years on a new tow rig... Just cause someone can afford a payment doenst mean they can afford 2.....

BTW howmany of you ACTUALLY get the proper overheight over length over width permits to trailer those boats... OR have a CDL if total weight is over 26K??????? a 38'+ boat and a supercruizer is required to have a CDL due to being over 26000 Combined weight.....

Last edited by npartin; 11-03-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
with yout 15k hitch are you good to tow up to that "technically" with your insurance? And what about tires, i got a new set of Alcoa rims for my truck and with that came a different size tire, i belive they are a 235/85
Your tires have a weight/load rating and/or index on them. Look for it. They might be class C (6 ply) , D (8 ply), or E (10 ply).

As for adding a 15K hitch, no you are NOT good to tow that much, you can still only tow what your vehicle's tow rating might be. The only think you might alleviate is not having to use a weight distribution setup, and just use a weight carrying hitch. There are several threads on this subject.

As for what makes a hitch a higher class, it is all of the above, from the way it bolts to the frame, the grade of fasteners used, and the way the hitch is made and welded. A hitch is not a hitch.

Check:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78812

and

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=113118

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-03-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpittman
No...I am serious. Your are being a P***Y
Are you just trying to keep the smart ass comments going? everyone else was done,until you showed up.

Quick Reply: What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.