Notices

2004 F-250 PSD Help

Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2004 F-250 PSD Help

I bought a new KIng Ranch edition last October and I am having some problems. It started in June when towing my boat, the truck chugged and bucked wouldn't pull up a small hill. Took it to the dealer and found bad turbo. They replaced the turbo. I have had it back for recall on fuel injector wiring harness, some type of exhaust sensor, and another wiring harness. About a month ago I noticed that the coolant overflow tank was full and that some, I wouldn't say a lot of coolant had spewed out as evidenced by the residue around the cap. The dealer told me to remove some coolant and see what happened. I took about a half gallon out down to the, "add line." Now when it gets hot the fluid level rises to the top of the tank. Does not spew out. I guess this is normal. Maybe just too much coolant from the factory?
Also have oil leaks. Leaking out what I think is the glow plug apparatus and strangely from the air tubing going into the intercooler in the radiator area. The service manager says these engines pass oil into this area somewhat when they're run hard. This does not make sense to me? He said the clamp on the line was just loose and make sure I keep good intake air filters on. Also engine oil on the transmission case.
Don't know if this is the norm, but there is a lot of lag when starting from a stoplight. Maybe this is normal, but I don't remember this when I bought the truck.
In addition, they put a bunch of fine scratches on the paint today working on it. They said they would take care of this! I'm asking for some advice about what this all means. The manager says that it doesn't leak that much oil and that it is not that big of deal. I told him it was a big deal to me I don't like oil on my garage floor and smelling it in the cab of the truck. I really don't expect oil leaks or the other problems. It's got 28,000 easy miles and I wonder what's going to happen in the next 30K miles. Am I out of line? Eric
Old 10-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 2004 F-250 PSD Help

Am I out of line? Eric [/QUOTE]

Well....yes... easily remedied by getting lined up with a GM truck

Ok... I delt with the "acceptable vs unacceptable" oil consumption limits with Cadillac Northstar engines. Ford should have some form of an engineering line drawn to clarify consumption levels. I think you should push the dealer to produce the information regarding oil consumption limits, then you can apply it to your situation.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 S/D powerstroke uses app 1/2 quart in 5 thousand miles, has no oil leaks, but the slight turbo lag is noticable...and somewhat common from what I've been able to tell.(I've got alot of customers with the 6.0 and MOST of them have the same lag) I went to an Airaid filter/intake and a complete Bassani exhaust(with downtube) and it helped the power alot and didn't effect the warranty(at least with my dealer). Now the Edge programmer was another story as far as warranty. I take that off the truck when it goes in for warranty issues(it takes about 15 minutes to remove/install).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
I went to an Airaid filter/intake and a complete Bassani exhaust(with downtube) and it helped the power alot and didn't effect the warranty

How is the exhaust, sound-wise? I'd like the additional performance but I've only heard aftermarket exhausts that were too loud for my tastes.