Notices

Wheel Bearing lube

Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Bearing lube

Anyone ever tried oil bath hubs on their boat trailer? If so how did you like running them. More or less maintenence. Seems they would be easier than cleaning and repacking all that grease.

Having a new trailer built and we started talking about grease vs oil just looking for someone who has tried them.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wheel Bearing lube

Originally Posted by paradigm shift
Anyone ever tried oil bath hubs on their boat trailer? If so how did you like running them. More or less maintenence. Seems they would be easier than cleaning and repacking all that grease.

Having a new trailer built and we started talking about grease vs oil just looking for someone who has tried them.

Thanks
between condensation when sitting (like all boat trailers do) and gettin dipped, i would think the pain of trying to keep water out of the oil would be a nightmare.... over the road truckers trailers use oil baths, but they stay in motion never allowing condensation to set in, and they obviously don't dip their trailers either.... a greased bearing properly maintained is still probably the best bet for marine use... just my .02

Last edited by Sean H; 10-28-2005 at 10:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
between condensation when sitting (like all boat trailers do) and gettin dipped, i would think the pain of trying to keep water out of the oil would be a nightmare.... over the road truckers trailers use oil baths, but they stay in motion never allowing condensation to set in, and they obviously don't dip their trailers either.... i greased bearing properly maintained is still probably the best bet for marine use... just my .02
Thanks and I am of the same mind set actually. Did not know if I am just old school or is there a better way. I have always stayed on top of servicing mine by greasing so it has not been a problem.

But with todays lubes for say out-drives that will stand some water kind of makes me wonder. I am also thinking why would keeping the water out be any worse with oil than grease? Seems it would be easier to drain and refill the oil than the grease is.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

check these out...

http://www.fishingworld.com/GoneFish...42209821115126

http://www.tonydean.com/equip.html?sectionid=6270

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Trailers.htm
Old 11-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Wheel Bearing lube

email fountain38, he converted his Extreme trailer for his 36 Eliminator to the oil hubs and he loves them.... ZERO maintenance -no troubles at all (now). His trailer is a dually triple axle so the bearings really have a load. He sent the trailer back to Extreme to convert it (THEY suggested it to correct the bearing problems). I guess there must be something going for them (oil hubs).
Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the other way on my Myco dually dual trailer. The oil bath hubs were allowing water to enter every time they were dunked. The Myco trailer was never designed for water but that was not feasable since the Jag moved from Florida to Northern California, kind of hard to sling the boat in every time. I simply hand packed the bearings and hubs and have had no problem. I do this twice each year. Doug
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

I lost a Bearing Buddy one time . If that had been oil the bearings would have been toast before I got home. Grease lasted.

Last edited by mopower; 11-07-2005 at 08:27 AM.