Notices

Class III or IV???

Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Class III or IV???

I have a 29 Fountain on the way with an aluminum trailer. How much estimated total weight am I looking at? My Titan is rated to pull 9200 lbs, so I think I'm good (I'm guess a max of 7500 to 8000). Right now I have a Class III hitch, it is setup for a Class IV. My question is do I need to spend the 300 or so dollars for a Class IV with the weight distro bars? Some people say that Class III tops out at 5000, others say 7500. I've never used a IV hitch before and it looks like to me I would have trouble finding a place on the trailer to hook up the chains from the weight distro bars. Do I have another option? Trying to be safe with a very expensive piece of hardware. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Class III or IV???

Never heard anybody complain for having to heavy duty of a hitch! Also do not C many boaters use w/d set ups w/ boats. Good tongue weight and very good trailer brakes will B very important. Good luck, Wrink
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

It depends as not all class III and IV hitches are rated at the same weight. If you have surge brakes you can't use weight distribute.

I would say Class IV with an appropriate rating for non distributing for the weight your are towing.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Registered

I do have surge brakes. So there's a Class IV out there that looks just like my Class III, just a higher rating???
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
I do have surge brakes. So there's a Class IV out there that looks just like my Class III, just a higher rating???

Yes, You can put your vehicle info in one of several sites and it will show your hitch options and the load ratings. www.etrailer.com has this. BTW I have not ordered from them, just used their configurator.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

class V
Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like Bob Zubic says, go with Class 5 and buy grade 8 bolts instead of using the ones that come with the hitch. Cheap Insurance and very little extra $
Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

http://www.putnamhitch.com/

I have a Putnam XDR Class-V hitch on my truck. Not sure about what they offer for a metric truck though.

Check out this thread below. It has several trailer hitch websites mentioned:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78812
Old 01-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Registered

We have a Class V reciever on our one work truck that has a 15k weight rating. You just have to check the rating on the hitches. Cause they are not all the same. A class IV should work for you. Make sure you check the rating on hitch and ball also. I have a 10k set up for my boat. The shank thickness on the ball makes the difference. And the hitch is solid steel.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Brian, the one Im talking about is the same one from XDR that you have. We recently had an incident with ours. The dumpgate was sitting on top of the ball/pintle when an employee tried to dump about 2 thousand pounds of debris. It bent the reciever. But it never failed. Welds and bolts held. It actually bent the frame of the truck. So if a hydraulic ram and 2k of weight with a direct downforce wont break the reciever, its good enough to tow a boat.

Quick Reply: Class III or IV???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.