Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup? >

Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Notices

Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

I have a idea.....why don't you guys buy the correct trucks next time around.....your always trying to buck the system
Old 03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
I have a idea.....why don't you guys buy the correct trucks next time around.....your always trying to buck the system
I had a correct truck. I had a correct hitch. I prefered towing with a WD setup. It rides that much better.

miamioffshore... ALL THE INFO YOU NEED is in the threads that I linked above, but here it is again.

http://www.hitchfinder.com/trunnion_WD_hitch.htm

Seriously, pony up the $20 bucks to see the pics. Its worth it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I had a correct truck. I had a correct hitch. I prefered towing with a WD setup. It rides that much better.

miamioffshore... ALL THE INFO YOU NEED is in the threads that I linked above, but here it is again.

http://www.hitchfinder.com/trunnion_WD_hitch.htm

Seriously, pony up the $20 bucks to see the pics. Its worth it.
Sywayz, I've seen the pics, but I still don't know if you needed to alter the trailer or to make the pole tongue adaptor fit as your pictures can't talk! Your pictures don't tell me what the dimensions of the pole tongue adaptor itself are. I know what size tongues it fits and my tongue will fit but i need to know the dimension of the adaptor itself to know if it will fit between the jackstand the surge brake controller.

Thanks again

Last edited by miamioffshore; 03-09-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I mounted my PTA below the trailer tongue, as shown in the pics. With the way the surge brake controller configures the height of the trailer tongue, this made things line up perfectly for my application. I had to notch the flat plate that bolts the two I-beams together just slightly, to slide the tongue jack(s) back to allow enough room for the PTA to fit. By adding a second jack, it reduces trailer twist when on the stand. I don't have the measurements, as the boat is in winter storage, but the retailer should be able to get them for you.

As far as your tow home... go ahead and upgrade your hitch on your truck before you go. Get either the Putnam XDR or the Reese Titan-V (yes its 2.5"). These hitches do allow you to be legal as to raise the weight rating of the Weight Carrying capacity of your truck to that EQUAL to what the weight rating is when using a Weight Distribution setup.

Let me state that a different way...
Your factory hitch is rated for 7K WC and 12K WD.
Upgrade to the Putnam XDR hitch which is rated for 15K WC.
By bolting that to your truck, you now are OK to tow 12K as WC.
This is per a GM representative and Putnam, as another OSO member verified in one of the old threads.

I am pulling the boat out of storage next week, so I can measure anything you may need.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for your help, I definetly plan on upgrading the hitch. What brand weight distribution setup did you go with, I'm thinking maybe I'll go with the BlueOx as it's rated to 15k and claims to have some sway control ability despite having no extra sway control hookups, which as you know are impossible on a pole tongue adaptor setup as there's no where else to hook them up to.

Thanks again,

M
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I have the Reese Trunnion setup.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hammer01
Be Careful With The Wd Hitches Because They Will Not Allow Surge Brakes To Activate If This Is Your Brake Set-up. My Boat Is 11k Dry And Aluminum Tri-axle Trailer And It Towed Perfect With My 2500 Hd Duramax And Now Am Towing It With 2500 Suburban. I Used The Class V Hitch And The 2 1/2 Inch Receiver. No Squat Or Other Problems.
Incorrect info, check out this site. I use this setup towing 13500lbs it works great.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...patibility.php
Old 03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

Boatman,

That works on your boat trailer? I would think those spring bars wouldn't be able to hookup due to the pole tongue? Please elaborate, as I looked at that hitch but didn't think it could be setup due to pole tongues and that particular setup not being able to do its thing with the use of a pole tongue adaptor?
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered

Sorry For My Vague Comment, I Should Have Clarified That I Had A Past Wd Application That Was Not Universal For All Trailers And It "may" Not Allow The Surge Brakes To Work Properly. I Went From A Steel Heritage Trailer To A Aluminum Tri-axle. I Should Have Been More Clear, I Just Know That It Is Frustrating To Order A Part And It Not Work For Your Application Without Expensive/extensive Modification In Some Cases, Especially With All The New Custom Trailers Available Today.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Miami-
You don't need to get into all this...
That 2500HD will have no trouble with the tounge weight.
The hitch is fine. Though uphrading to the XDR is certainly not a bad idea.
I have had 21,000 on the stock hitch on the 3500. Yes, believe it or not...21,000lbs.

Me.. I wouldn't waste time with the wd bars and adaptors, and chains....

The balanced boat won't have much tongue weight.

Send me an email or call me any time.
[email protected]
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Quick Reply: Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.