Notices

Pintle Hitch

Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Re: Pintle Hitch

Can you bring the pintle down over the top of the trailer coupler and latch it? Doesn't it run the risk of damaging the trailer coupler lock mechanism if you go through a dip in the road or while transversing to a parking lot?

I had the same thought, and would not mind something like the pintle, but it does not look like it will come down far enough to latch when a trailer coupler is on the ball.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Prater call precision trailer in Purcell OK ask for clay the owner tell him john told you to call, he will get what it is your looking for.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
This is what I use.

From Northern Tool

Another one

Just ordered one I will let everyone know how it works out,,,,,BZ
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a combo hitch. It's for pulling with a ball or a pintle without changing the drawbar. It won't do any more for you than one or the other.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
That's a combo hitch. It's for pulling with a ball or a pintle without changing the drawbar. It won't do any more for you than one or the other.
What he said Actually when towing as a pintle they have alot of play because the ball ruins the smooth circle that a straight pintle hook has.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
Prater call precision trailer in Purcell OK ask for clay the owner tell him john told you to call, he will get what it is your looking for.

They did not have what i was looing for. I did find what i needed at J&J Trailer. It was the same price as Northern Tools once I aded the shipping. the one I purchased will lock closed for a pintle, or it will lock opened enough to clear the ball hitch on the trailer but not let the trailer come off the ball in case the trailer lock mechanism comes loose.

Last edited by Prater; 04-12-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they work great....sometimes you have to grind the lock mechanism down in order for it to be able to close but stay up a bit due to the space of the trailer hitch....no biggie............And even if you were to use a pintle hitch ...your trailer would not be bouncing all over the place....you of course must be towing with a lack of tounge weight if this were to happen....oh I forgot....that is what you do around here....cause the trucks can't handle the load......opps I forgot....so now that we put too much weight on your piece of crap truck with single rear wheel and no leafs....you can always take care of that sag with the weight distribution hitch assembly.....the best cover up for lack of truck in history of oso....good job boys....i love to see the bs that flows on this screen....
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea.....You are right Byrdman...Pintles dont slam when you hit the brakes & the trailer moves forward. Nor do they slam over big humps in the road...

All these years towing my car trailer with WD set-up. Wish you had told me sooner I need a KW or Pete to tow 6000lbs......
Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
This is what I use.

From Northern Tool

Another one

I use the one on the top picture on my piece of crap under-rated truck when I tow my overweight boat/trailer. Works great!!!!!

By the way, it's rated for 16,000 lbs.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a little confused Byrdman, are you saying that it is good, or are you being sarcastic that my 3500 D-Max Dually does not have the rating I need to pull the boat?

Quick Reply: Pintle Hitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.