Notices

Pintle Hitch

Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Pintle Hitch

Originally Posted by birdog
Pintles ?.....Older than I am by far. But i have no idea why anyone would want to use one to tow a boat. I have a 30k rated ball, I think even Byrdman will allow that ?

As to WD bars...There is a reason every car trailer/travel trailer uses them.....Just slamming everybody that uses them for no reason just shows you dont understand the benefits offered by this set-up.
I have a pintle on mine for no other reason is that I rarely if ever see a ball hitch on a commercial vehicle. I may be completely wrong and I have no facts to back any of it up but I have to assume that folks who know way more than I decided to go this direction for a reason.

As far as having a 30K rated ball, do you have a 30K rated receiver on the trailer? I've never seen one that big but I can only assume if they make a ball that heavy, they'd make a receiver to match. Most of the receivers are stampings and I've never seen one that looked like what I'd call bulletproof. That big, forged pintle ring just seems indestructable.

If nothing else, it makes me feel better.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry Guys did not mean to start a debate on this topic again. I am making sure that my insurance company cannot refuse my claim if something happens because I did not have the proper rated tow ball. I have never lost a trailer, but almost did due to the ball not being torqued on the reciever tube properly by the previous owner. I will never let anybody just hand me a slider with ball again without putting some of my own torque on it. Glad I checked the boat when something did not feel rite at a stop sign. I have also seen a few trailers that had poor maintenance on the tongue that lost the locking mechanism somehow jump off the ball and break the chains. I know I am going to have more than what I need. I am just a little anal about making sure I limit problems while traveling. Here is the hitch I purchased with two differnet lock positions.
Attached Thumbnails Pintle Hitch-dcp_2027.jpg   Pintle Hitch-dcp_2028.jpg  

Last edited by Prater; 04-14-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prater
Sorry Guys did not mean to start a debate on this topic again. I am making sure that my insurance company cannot refuse my claim if something happens because I did not have the proper rated tow ball. I have never lost a trailer, but almost did due to the ball not being torqued on the reciever tube properly by the previous owner. I will never let anybody just hand me a slider with ball again without putting some of my own torque on it. Glad I checked the boat when something did not feel rite at a stop sign. I have also seen a few trailers that had poor maintenance on the tongue that lost the locking mechanism somehow jump off the ball and break the chains. I know I am going to have more than what I need. I am just a little anal about making sure I limit problems while traveling. Here is the hitch I purchased with two differnet lock positions.
You bring up a good point on safety chains. There are a number of different grades and I've seen them all on trailers. The most common, hardware-store chain is Grade 30. This grade is good for keeping a large dog from wandering off but not much more. It is mild steel and it is almost always chrome plated. Grade 43 is usually black oxide coated and is a carbon steel. Grade 70 is alloy steel and usually gold in color. This is also commonly known as "transport" chain as it's DOT rated for load binders on commercial transport trailers. This is the minimum I would ever use as a safety chain. Grade 80 is rated for overhead lifting. It is usually custom-assembled and has a certification tag attached. This is "save your life" chain. Most load rated and all high-test chain is marked on each link with its grade. If your safety chains aren't marked, they're probably not up to the job. It's also important how your safety chain is retained to the trailer. I've seen alloy chain bolted to the bottom of a trailer tongue with a Grade 5 3/8" bolt to retain it. I think the old saying about the weakest link applies pretty well here.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Prater
Exactly which pintle is that Prater? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I have a pintle on mine for no other reason is that I rarely if ever see a ball hitch on a commercial vehicle. I may be completely wrong and I have no facts to back any of it up but I have to assume that folks who know way more than I decided to go this direction for a reason.

As far as having a 30K rated ball, do you have a 30K rated receiver on the trailer? I've never seen one that big but I can only assume if they make a ball that heavy, they'd make a receiver to match. Most of the receivers are stampings and I've never seen one that looked like what I'd call bulletproof. That big, forged pintle ring just seems indestructable.

If nothing else, it makes me feel better.
My reciever is solid steel. weighs about 50lbs...I doubt it's rated for 30k but then..I'm nowhere near that weight.
My point {actually a question} was why use a pintle ?
My only experiences with Pintles is large construction trailers & they have all seemed to slam around. I guess there are better "fitting" pintles for what we do that don't bounce.

Byrdman...I completely understand your frustration at some of these threads..There have been some VERY ridiculous trailering questions thrown out there. Just saying..Don't condemn WD set-ups..They tow very nice
Old 04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Registered

Sydwayz, Wife is in the truck now and I wont see her for some time. I will try and get the manufacturer of he hitch and post tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have play in a pintle hook to pintle ring/loop it is because they are two different ratings. The loop on a lighter trailer (cement mixer) will fit over a 20 ton hook but the diameter of the steel making the loop does not "fill up" the hook.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by birdog
My reciever is solid steel. weighs about 50lbs...I doubt it's rated for 30k but then..I'm nowhere near that weight.
My point {actually a question} was why use a pintle ?
My only experiences with Pintles is large construction trailers & they have all seemed to slam around. I guess there are better "fitting" pintles for what we do that don't bounce.
Having had a vehicle pulled over and rolled by a boat, I wonder myself if something that separated might not be better! In the end, mine did separate after several barrel-rolls. Had it cut loose earlier, I may have only lost the boat. Now, with a medium-duty tow rig, I have less worries. If the same thing were to have happened with this truck, I believe the truck could have controlled the boat/trailer and pulled it back. It's under that extreme situation that I believe the pintle would save me. On an F350, it probably wouldn't matter.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Having had a vehicle pulled over and rolled by a boat, I wonder myself if something that separated might not be better! In the end, mine did separate after several barrel-rolls. Had it cut loose earlier, I may have only lost the boat. Now, with a medium-duty tow rig, I have less worries. If the same thing were to have happened with this truck, I believe the truck could have controlled the boat/trailer and pulled it back. It's under that extreme situation that I believe the pintle would save me. On an F350, it probably wouldn't matter.
Wow !.....Your boat rolling took your truck over with it {several times} ?.....Man, I bet that filled your shorts !!
Thank God that you lived.
this was with a ball ?...I would have thought that would break apart before the truck was rolled.
Stories like that make you think long & hard about what we are doing !
Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered

Last year a buddy of mine forgot to empty the water bag on his Ski Natique and at about 65mph on the highway the extra weight on the tail of the trailer caused it to start yawing so badly that his F150 could not keep control. The truck and boat went off the highway with the boat swinging around and taking out the bed and driver side cab. He was ok but it totaled the truck, and boat, bending the tongue over 90 degres without coming apart.

Quick Reply: Pintle Hitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.