Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help. >

Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help.

Notices

Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help.

I will be buying a new 3/4 ton truck powered by a diesel. I'll tow the boat twice a week for 5 months, May to October, as well as 1 mile to work and back year around.

Chevy salesman says the 1 mile to work and back won't allow the diesel engine to achieve proper operating temperature, which will may damage the engine . Is this true?

If so, what is the remedy?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help.

Originally Posted by SunsationalMate
I will be buying a new 3/4 ton truck powered by a diesel. I'll tow the boat twice a week for 5 months, May to October, as well as 1 mile to work and back year around.

Chevy salesman says the 1 mile to work and back won't allow the diesel engine to achieve proper operating temperature, which will may damage the engine . Is this true?

If so, what is the remedy?
Get a autostarter and let her warm up all the time...it is great for them...
Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Get a autostarter and let her warm up all the time...it is great for them...
Truck will be garaged, so prestart in morning will be very inconvenient. So it's true that the daily short trips will eventually damage the engine?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

I'd buy a little beater to drive daily to work and back. Startup is when you do most of your engine wear damage, and yes, if it does not get up to operating temperature, its not going to be ideal.

Perhaps pick up a slightly used diesel 3/4 and with the 'extra' money, buy a little S-10 pickup or something.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 982 Likes on 524 Posts

Don't know about short trips = trouble for diesels but my 03 2500 Crew D/A is started 20-30 times a day and is used mostly for around town stops and after 72K miles in 32 months it has been fine with the sole exception of the Delco batteries failing. They come with a factory 5 year/ 100K mile powertrain warranty so let it be GM's problem. BTW it tows my 32 Dominator MCOB beautifully.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Short version: Yes, frequent short trips, with only a few longer trips will certainly not be good for a diesel. The occasional milk run to the corner kwik-mart is okay, but if you're driving a mile each way 5 days a week without any major trips, it will suffer. It's particularly bad with modern diesels with heavy reliance on pollution control devices.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a work beater
Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunsationalMate
Truck will be garaged, so prestart in morning will be very inconvenient. So it's true that the daily short trips will eventually damage the engine?
if your garage is heated....then your fine!.....leave it outside and get a auto start if not....just think...it will always be warm and cold when ya need it.....just get over the garage kept part!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just plug it in at night, they all come with heaters. Mine stays outside and I have plugged it in a few times during the winter, No ice on windshield and instant heat.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

mine has 210,000 miles of every day use,I say if you warm it up or plug it in it should be fine,just let the turbo cool/slow down a few minutes before shutting off,that will help turbo life,I have made tons of little corner store trips and things like that,I find myself taking my explorer just because it is easier to park!!

Quick Reply: Are very short trips bad for diesels? Help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.