Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
help 2002 f-250 electric brakes? >

help 2002 f-250 electric brakes?

Notices

help 2002 f-250 electric brakes?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help 2002 f-250 electric brakes?

new trailer with electric disk brakes, that as iam coming down big hill i realize they are not working.

do i have the wrong plug to attach to the truck? bought new one thinking that it was right, but what do i look for?

last night found in glove box a harness that came with the truck to hook up an electric brake contoller? do i need one of those?

never had electric brakes, what should i start looking for?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help 2002 f-250 electric brakes?

You have to have a controller.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Registered

so thats my problem. thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also might check that the relays and fuses to make all 7 contacts live in the round plu have been installed. For some reason, Ford decided it best to put those items in a plastic bag with the wiring harness you found in the glove box instead of plugging them in in the early yrs. The normal stop, turn and driving lights work using either plug, just not the electric brakes, back up, or 12v circut.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Scott, Hyde Equp. in Ptown would be a good one to instal it for you. Once you have it in your truck look for the adjustment on the controller, you will need to adjust it while you a braking with the trailer and boat behind you so you get it right. The only prob. with electric is once you get it adjusted for a loaded trailer your brakes will want to lock up on the trailer if you run it empty.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

thanks, ended up being a bad selenoid? sp?, they are not electric surge with disk brakes, only electric part is to lock out in reverse.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Also might check that the relays and fuses to make all 7 contacts live in the round plu have been installed. For some reason, Ford decided it best to put those items in a plastic bag with the wiring harness you found in the glove box instead of plugging them in in the early yrs. The normal stop, turn and driving lights work using either plug, just not the electric brakes, back up, or 12v circut.
not to hi-jack, but ive always had problems backing my trailer (it locks up) and its hooked into the reverse light with a lock out on the hydraulics on the trailer. that would explain my problem, but how do you go about hooking up reverse lights to that 7 way plug?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
but how do you go about hooking up reverse lights to that 7 way plug?
One pin is designated BU lights.
Also , once you come to a full stop , your brakes are applied. You cannot back up even with the lockout operated because , again , the brakes are applied and there is pressure in the system. You must roll forward about a foot , or at least enough to stretch out the surge unit and releaase the pressure in the system. THEN , without hitting the brakes AGAIN , slip it into reverse. This will now close the lockout and you will be good to go(backwards)

This is NOT a concern with drum brake since they don't work for chit in reverse anyway.

Last edited by mopower; 05-14-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, that's why you spend the extra $10 and get the 'deluxe' solenoid. When it is triggered, it bleeds off all the trailers line pressure, so ZERO brake force. A must have for disc brakes setups.
I used to have to do mopowers method when mine had the standard backup solenoid. But it's became such a hassle when trying to back up my driveway that has an incline, only to have to pull forward to reposition a couple of times. After a month of that chit I replaced it wtht the deluxe model. I did a few times carry a short jumper wire and hook the trailer BU terminal to the trucks parking lights for use when at my driveway, so I could lock out the trailer while still in the street.
A cheap bandaid fix.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-14-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
not to hi-jack, but ive always had problems backing my trailer (it locks up) and its hooked into the reverse light with a lock out on the hydraulics on the trailer. that would explain my problem, but how do you go about hooking up reverse lights to that 7 way plug?

as you can tell by the thread i dont know much, heck i did not even know what type of trailer i had. but does your 7 way plug have big metal pin in the center. that i guess is what activates the solenoid?

thank god i must have the deluxe selenoid becouse backing is no problem.

Quick Reply: help 2002 f-250 electric brakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.