Notices

new sticker on desel pump

Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: new sticker on desel pump

Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel is coming soon.
What it means is that older vehicles are fvkked if they run the ULS fuels. There is virtually no lubrication in ULS fuel, and you'd have to use additives.

The sticker means that the fuel at that pump is not ULS fuel, and should not be run in '07 and later vehicles that are designed to run ULS diesel.

It begs the question, will there be two grades supplied or will everyone with older vehicles have to perform upgrades at the whim of the EPA?

There's some good discussion here with some links:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=494060

Last edited by CigDaze; 07-10-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 35 Posts

The new fuel has 15 ppm (parts per million) sulfur and the current on road fuel has 500 ppm. The reason for the new fuel is all the after treatment exhaust products that are being used on the 2007 new class A trucks. You can run this fuel in any diesel with out any problems. I personally have done about 1000 hours of testing on this fuel in all types of diesels engines with no differences when compared to the current fuels.

Don
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dean51267
what does lower sulfer fuel mean to the average guy?

Low sulfur diesel is way less polluting and has much less smell to it.

Should not mean any change in power output on a 2006 diesel, however the new regs for diesels Jan 2007 on will mean up to 200 lbs in additional emission controls and may well reduce power output in the near future.

If you are looking for a new diesel then buying a late 2006 or early 2007 truck would be a good idea.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dgduck13
The new fuel has 15 ppm (parts per million) sulfur and the current on road fuel has 500 ppm. The reason for the new fuel is all the after treatment exhaust products that are being used on the 2007 new class A trucks. You can run this fuel in any diesel with out any problems. I personally have done about 1000 hours of testing on this fuel in all types of diesels engines with no differences when compared to the current fuels.

Don
What about lubricity? Everything I've read is indicating that the new ULS fuels could lead to premature failure of pumps and injectors on older diesels?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From Chevron's Website:

----------

There are several diesel fuel properties other than sulfur that will change as a result of moving to S15 (ULSD).

* Lubricity:Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear.The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.
* The D975 specification is based on the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) and requires a wear scar no larger than 520 microns.

* Energy Content:In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal).
* The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.

* Cetane Number:In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15ppm also reduces the aromatics content resulting in an increase to the cetane number.

Back to General Information

# How will S15 (ULSD) affect my fuel system seals?

Chevron is not sure whether the transition to S15 (ULSD) in 2006 will affect fuel system elastomers (e.g., O-rings). Any change will depend on the elastomer material and age, as well as the change in seal swell characteristics of the particular fuel being used, relative to the fuel the vehicle has been using. Experience in transitioning to S500 (500 ppm) in 1993 suggests end-users should be proactive. Specifically, maintenance records should be reviewed to ensure that fuel system elastomer seals have been changed out at recommended intervals with recommended materials.

Please refer to our technical bulletin Fuel Links from Seals of Vehicles using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel for additional information.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
What about lubricity? Everything I've read is indicating that the new ULS fuels could lead to premature failure of pumps and injectors on older diesels?

Thanks.
I don't think it will effect anything. I used to work for Donaldson Company Inc. as a test engineer in the exhaust development division. We had four dyno's running 24/7 365 days a year. one was a 2001 5.9 cummins, one was a 1998 CAT 3126. another one was a cummins L10. The last one was a 2007 CAT C7 accert. We ran ULSD 15ppm through all of them using the stock injection systems with no lubrication additives and never had any problem. School bus fleet and garabage trucks in CA have been running this fuel for years with no problems. Now nation wide I know of at least 100 other areas that have been running it for at least 12 months with no problems.

Don't worry about it.
Don
Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took this pic with my camera phone at Murphy ( Wal-Mart)
Attached Thumbnails new sticker on desel pump-diesel.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dgduck how about bio desel . there is a guy here close by that is making it and running in his ford desel older model. with the banks turbo kit on it loves it .. any advice on it .
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dgduck13
I don't think it will effect anything. I used to work for Donaldson Company Inc. as a test engineer in the exhaust development division. We had four dyno's running 24/7 365 days a year. one was a 2001 5.9 cummins, one was a 1998 CAT 3126. another one was a cummins L10. The last one was a 2007 CAT C7 accert. We ran ULSD 15ppm through all of them using the stock injection systems with no lubrication additives and never had any problem. School bus fleet and garabage trucks in CA have been running this fuel for years with no problems. Now nation wide I know of at least 100 other areas that have been running it for at least 12 months with no problems.

Don't worry about it.
Don
Thanks. Makes me feel better.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain1fan
dgduck how about bio desel . there is a guy here close by that is making it and running in his ford desel older model. with the banks turbo kit on it loves it .. any advice on it .
Bio diesel is kind of a black art..... it all depends on who is making it. If it is comming from the refinery then you will have no problems what so ever. If it is being made by the local farmer, you might want to be careful. I haven't heard of any horror stories yet but the possiblity is there if the chemicals are not mixed right. If you live in a cold weather climate watch out for gelling.

Quick Reply: new sticker on desel pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.