Notices

Chevy truck brakes

Old 07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: Chevy truck brakes

I had a '95 Tahoe. Loved the truck and it had 190,000 miles when I sold it to a friend and never used a drop of oil. He still has it and it still runs great with 270,000 miles.

But..........

......they don't stop very well and eat brake pads up!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So then what's the ABS fix? If the KH controller is the problem, is there a Bosch retrofit? Discs for the back looks like about a grand and the hydroboost doesn't sound any better. Plus, if the mush is in the ABS, I presume the mush will be there afterwards. I really hate to have to lose the ABS altogether.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not agree it is the ABS. The 35 inch tires have something to do with it, they make the brakes work harder. The larger diameter puts the angle/moment further out from the wheel thus making the load greater. It could be a combination of things too. I don't think you want to spend a 1000 on a disc brake set up just so he can drive on 35's. Good luck.

Wannabe
Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 99 escalade that i run 22 inch wheels on and i also could'nt stop the thing, upgraded the rear drums to brembo cross drilled discs, improved looks more than stopping power in my opinion, then upgraded to 14 inch baer brakes in the front,that definatley helped but now i have to run 20"s in the winter. i've come to accept that these trucks just dont stop great , when towing i always leave room ahead of me and manually downshift when braking,that helps ALOT! GOOD LUCK
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

DO a brake upgrade setup brembos or baer. Crossdrilled or slotted, bigger brakes 4 piston over 2 piston calipers and steel braded lines. Just watch the size of rim that you are running for some calipers require a bigger rim size to fit behind. Also check the brake fluid and make sure it is of the right DOT rating"simple to overlook" The truck has a lot of rolling mass with those 35s on it and the weight of the truck now, some simple upgrades will do it. There is also a disk brake conversion on the market for the rears cant think of the place that has them right now.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts

Stick a set of stock tires/rims on it and see if it stops right,your stainless brake lines might be the ticket also. I have worked on more than one chevy truck (and other vehicles) that had swelled up front brake lines or inner lining in line was ripped and flap moving in hose would keep fluid from fully applying or releasing the caliper. Another thing is some short box std cab chevys use thinner rotors(like 1/18 or 1") compared to the 1 1/4 or 1 3/8rotors,if this is the case with yours rob the hardware off the knuckles on a extended cab truck and put on the thicker rotors and bigger calipers,it will stop much better,Smitty
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

I've used EGR brakes on my 96 Dodge 3500. I had all the symptoms you are describing. I went with thier complete system, rotors, master cyl., SS brakelines,Motul fluid, larger rear wheel cyl., and race style pads and shoes. Stock, I was going thru front pads every 6000 mi the last set of EGR front pads went 45,000mi and the slotted rotors went 85,000mi. Cant argue with those numbers.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 AM

I've been internet trolling on the bleeding subject. Everything I've read says the ABS cannot be bled without a scantool and 3 depressors for opening the ABS valves. True?

I hate to do it but I may have to enlist professional assistance
Old 07-26-2006, 06:37 PM

I've learned that the brakes cannot be properly bled without a scantool to cycle the ABS. It seems air gets trapped in the ABS valving. Someone suggested manually cycling by panic stopping in a gravel lot but I think I'm going to install the 3 braided lines the UPS guy so graciously delivered this afternoon, then run it down to the local service shop.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how your results turn out.

Quick Reply: Chevy truck brakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.