Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Acetone added to your fuel tank? (gas or diesel) >

Acetone added to your fuel tank? (gas or diesel)

Notices

Acetone added to your fuel tank? (gas or diesel)

Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Acetone added to your fuel tank? (gas or diesel)

Smitty, years ago when leaded premium was going away, I bought tolulene at a wholesale paint supply. They had 5 gallon and large drums. I ran 1 gallon per tank in my 68 Corvette with 11 to 1 compression with no ill effects.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 55 gallons drum of tolulene in the garage anyone can have if you come and pick it up. I needed a DEA number to buy it and it was about $2.00/gallon. It is used in the making of meth.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A while back I posted a link regarding solvents that safely raised octane ratings by adding small amounts to gasoline. Toluene was at the top of the list. The downside of toluene is that it will absorb directly through the skin. The body has no was of passing it off and it may lodge in the liver.

Acetone is a very light aromatic solvent. It evaporates at a very high rate and has a very low ignition point. It is perfect for increasing combustion but will also increase the heat. Be careful not to burn a hole in your little pistons.

The last thing you want is to be driving around with a high percentage of these solvents in your vehicle. Acetone especially. The evaporation rate is so high on a hot day, fumes will be spewing out of your tank which could ignite with static (fabric brushed against the side of the vehicle on a dry day), a spark or even a cigarette butt thrown out the window.

When solvents evaporate they have a tendency to sink to the ground immediately and collect in pockets. A careless spent match will ignite the fumes.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...538#5201947538
Old 07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
Articfriends, was the minivan a diesel. I have heard of adding a half cup per fillup increases mileage. Just a little scared to try it. If diesel gets over 3.00 per gallon I might not be so scared.
No,my beater minivan has a 3.0 l mitsibishi. The acetone made no difference. I have a 06 duramax,I doubt 4 oz of acetone added to 22 gals of diesel could harm anything (it would be pretty diluted). I will try it sometime,Smitty
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the acetone supose to do to the Diesel fuel?? Make it expand?

How is it going to make it burn less fuel???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
What is the acetone supose to do to the Diesel fuel?? Make it expand?

How is it going to make it burn less fuel???
From what I understand, the acetone just make it burn more completely. Read the article I posted at the beginning of this thread and it explains more.

Ben

PS: averaging 18.3+ mpg today.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
From what I understand, the acetone just make it burn more completely. Read the article I posted at the beginning of this thread and it explains more.

Ben

PS: averaging 18.3+ mpg today.
It is also burning hotter. Do you have an EGT gauge? Temp should stay below a certain temp range. I do not exact range but my guess would be Max should be 1550 to 1650 F.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Menace
It is also burning hotter. Do you have an EGT gauge? Temp should stay below a certain temp range. I do not exact range but my guess would be Max should be 1550 to 1650 F.
Yes I do have an EGT gauge and it hasn't seemed to make it any hotter at all and I think 1550 is too hot anyway. My Edge chip will shut it down if it gets over 1300+ for extended periods. And you can adjust that tempature "safety factor" with the Edge chip.

Ben
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
Yes I do have an EGT gauge and it hasn't seemed to make it any hotter at all and I think 1550 is too hot anyway. My Edge chip will shut it down if it gets over 1300+ for extended periods. And you can adjust that tempature "safety factor" with the Edge chip.

Ben
Mine is set at 1350 and its been close to that a few times in the highest setting.I would think anything above 1550+ would hurt something if ya stayed in it.

I see 1500 in my Chevelle on pump gas all the time and it doesn't show up any damage on the pistons

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Acetone added to your fuel tank? (gas or diesel)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.