Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Please  read if your truck is lifted.......... >

Please read if your truck is lifted..........

Notices

Please read if your truck is lifted..........

Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Please read if your truck is lifted..........

Hey guys,
I went through this recently, so you may want to check out your policies. I had a 2004 GMC 2500HD that was NOT lifted and my insurance premium was priced ok.

I traded that truck in for a 2005 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison combo, 4 x 4, crew cab, shortbed, lifted 6" with 35" tires. I purchased the truck new from my local dealer, they did the lift and everything.

When I called my insurance company, they were charging me an additional $500.00 a year beacause my truck was lifted. Their explanation for this was that a lifted truck does more damage in an accident, because it's alot higher and usually doesn't hit another car on the bumber. Ok, this does make sense, logically

The problem is when I asked if the (approx.cost is $10K) GPS, exhaust, rollup tonneau cover, lift, tires and rims, etc.... would be covered in case of an accident, theft, fire, etc.... they said NO!! I was like WTF??? They were charging me for the lift, but didn't want to insure the lift???? That was Mercury Insurance....so I booted them and got AAA. AAA charged me an additional $300.00 to cover all this in case of a problem.

Man, I hate insurance companies. Seems like all they want to do is figure a way out of a claim these days. I realize these #'s may be high, but it's California

Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-26-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Please read if your truck is lifted..........

They probably have 2 categories- lifted and stock. Yours is a fairly mild example of a lift. The "average" is probably taller, not professionally installed and likely has some backyard engineering thrown in for good measure. On top of that, they usually blow their wad on the parts & rims so there's no brake upgrades under there. Those 44's add a bit of additional stopping distance. Plus, some of these trucks look like a stiff breeze will blow them onto their sides.

30 years ago you got hammered on equipment- loud exhaust, exposed tires, etc. Nowadays they don't even look.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 536 Posts

Its funny how insurance company's work....they take your money yet offer nothing unless you specifically ask about something.....take my wife's wedding ring for example....i called my insurance and had it insured...the lady added it to my insurance policy and i thought i was covered......well my wife has a temp job for about a month with an insurance salesman and learned a thing or two about the industry in that short amt of time......anyway she asked me about the policy on the ring cause most homeowners policy only cover the ring if something happens to it while IN THE HOUSE!!! like if it fell down the toilet or house was robbed. If she lost it during vacation then you would be SOL!!!! So i called and sure enough that exactly how it worked!! So i changed the policy and got the ring a separate policy and its now covered anywhere in the world....but to think that they didn't even say anything about this just burns me up! They will do anything they can NOT to pay out on a claim once it shows up.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant believe how through your insurance companies are down there....... up here they would not even know what a lifted truck is let alone have a seperate catagory for it.......
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I cant believe how through your insurance companies are down there....... up here they would not even know what a lifted truck is let alone have a seperate catagory for it.......
Your insurance company isn't that naive,however your agent may be,but its the company not the agent that determines if you get paid or not. I would almost bet money that somewhere in those 9 or 10 pages of policy no one reads that you get when buying your insurance there is a subsection saying that claims arising from modifications or unsafe alterations may be denied or not covered. Lets say you put 3inches of lift on your truck and 33's and you get in a wreck a truck would probably be covered but lets say you lift your truck 18inches and put 48's under it,pull the motor and install a 1500 hp blower motor on alchohol then roll it over they might say the accident or claim arose be cause of your "dangerous or unsafe" modifications,they do anything to weasel out of claims and in that case I wouldn't blame them as some of these modifications do make trucks dangerous to be on the road,Smitty
Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Hey guys,
I went through this recently, so you may want to check out your policies. I had a 2004 GMC 2500HD that was NOT lifted and my insurance premium was priced ok.

I traded that truck in for a 2005 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison combo, 4 x 4, crew cab, shortbed, lifted 6" with 35" tires. I purchased the truck new from my local dealer, they did the lift and everything.

When I called my insurance company, they were charging me an additional $500.00 a year beacause my truck was lifted. Their explanation for this was that a lifted truck does more damage in an accident, because it's alot higher and usually doesn't hit another car on the bumber. Ok, this does make sense, logically

The problem is when I asked if the (approx.cost is $10K) GPS, exhaust, rollup tonneau cover, lift, tires and rims, etc.... would be covered in case of an accident, theft, fire, etc.... they said NO!! I was like WTF??? They were charging me for the lift, but didn't want to insure the lift???? That was Mercury Insurance....so I booted them and got AAA. AAA charged me an additional $300.00 to cover all this in case of a problem.

Man, I hate insurance companies. Seems like all they want to do is figure a way out of a claim these days. I realize these #'s may be high, but it's California
yo semper, mercury ins is a chit dripping pos ins co in nmb fl. they are part of the onyx gruop. they are the absolute owrst on screwing people when they make a claim i went there to pick up a check for a customer so i could release his car. they have armed guards inside and out to trhow out irate customers that they have screwed. i saw em toos out a blck girl when i was there!!!