Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually? >

Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually?

Notices

Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts
Default Re: Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually?

Originally Posted by Slick02
I just did the 22.5 conversion last week, went through 4 steel inners before I came up with 2 good ones, I used Alcoa rims & Michelin XZE 255/70r22.5s just made a thousand mile round trip from Orlando to Myrtle Beach and back with them on the truck(06 F350 shortbed 4x4 dually with a 2 1/2" leveling kit) the pluses are,, improved fuel mileage, improved looks no tire rub, now the minuses,,excessive road feel(even after lowering tire pressures) minor vibration issues(still working on balance issues), somewhat harsher ride, and somewhat diminished braking capabilities....If I can find someone to buy the setup, I'm going to direct bolt on 19.5s..Just my personal observations. Nick
Did you tow with the setup?
If so, how much weight?

EXCELLENT info. Thanks for the recap. Stick the setup on eBay. Someone will buy them.
Give a call to www.ricksontruck.com for the 19.5s.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually?

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did you tow with the setup?
If so, how much weight?

EXCELLENT info. Thanks for the recap. Stick the setup on eBay. Someone will buy them.
Give a call to www.ricksontruck.com for the 19.5s.
Towed an 18ft motorcycle trailer with 4 Harleys in it, (2 baggers and 1 Softail and a Pitbull chopper) app 6,000 lbs. with no/minimal sway at 80mph plus. As far as Rickson wheel, seems like a great product but they seem to have a delivery problem(thats how I ended up with the setup I have now) I ordered tires/wheel from them back in the spring and after the second delivery delay and excuses I had to give up on them, they got to the point where they wouldn't even return e-mails, much less phone calls(voice mail every time I tried to call them). And what really chapped my azz was the brand new advertisment they put in Diesel World mag and they can't deliver the orders that they have in a timely manner, so why in Gods name would you advertise for more work? If I ran my business like that, I'd be out of business real quick.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with my 3500 GMC dually with Alcoa 19,5" rims with 245/70-19,5 tires:

In 2006 the truck came to Norway with these rims and brand new mud & snow tires MADE IN AMERICA!!). These had soft rubber and the big thread were not ideal for use on hot summer days. They lasted until spring 2011 and ran about 80.000 miles in all kinds of conditions. Very impressive! When they were new they "wheeeled" a bit (noise) which was somewhat anoying, but it disappeared after a while. So when I replaced them last summer, I went for more of a summer tire with the tread going around the whole tire. They are great and very quiet. Great when driving long journeys. And in fact I use them in the winter too, but not on days with a lot of new snow as they are a bit slippery. With the 4x4 on, the truck accellerates impressively even on snow! Breaking is also good.

When I bought the new tires, I asked them to balance them properly. When I drove out of the workshop, the truck had great vibrations... They balanced them again, and it became better. However, they are were perfect. As I had a few scratches on the front wheels, I now half a year later put the inner rear wheels up front and vice versa. Of some reason, the vibration is almost gone.. I have about 50 PSI in the front tires and 40 in the rear tires. These tires are rated for 110 PSI and the tire guys did not understand why I wanted so low pressure. But if they are around 100 PSI, the truck has almost no contact with the ground and it is very slippery and the vibrations increase (due to little load). The tire shop insisted that the tires were now super balanced, but the truck had some vibration still. So i decided to jack the truck up and run the wheels around with the engine on and into 4x4 mode. Now I could clearly see that the rims were perfectly round, but the tires were not. Some worse than others. I commented on this to the tire shop guys, and they said that this type of truck tires were never 100% round from the factory and that they were not intended for light weight trucks like mine and high speeds. By coincidence, I came across a video on Youtube of a so-called "tire truing" process..... Very interesting. I believe the vibration on my truck is not from bad balance, but the fact that these tires are not perfectly round and the fact that they are so greatly reinforced and have great load capabilities giving a harsh ride when not loaded.

Has anyone any experience with tire truing of their 19,5 or 22,5 " tires??? Should be very interesting to know!!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

had a friend get a set trued up years back when this all came to the market.. i cant tell you what he paid was a shop in town that done it...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you value the ride, like the power, and want to stop when towing........DON'T DO IT!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the 10 hole 22.5 alcolas on my 2005 3500 dually. T.A.W. manufactyring did the kit. they trued the rims and also turned them down so i can run 22 in. rubber. Balance Master wheel balancers will take care of your problem, they work great on my truck, smooth as silk.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KWright
I have the 10 hole 22.5 alcolas on my 2005 3500 dually. T.A.W. manufactyring did the kit. they trued the rims and also turned them down so i can run 22 in. rubber. Balance Master wheel balancers will take care of your problem, they work great on my truck, smooth as silk.
Thanks! Smooth as silk sounds great to me on a heavy truck with big rims. What tire pressure do you run? So you have no vibration at all? Rest of truck is stock? Do you hae a picture of it by the way? I am sure it looks cool :-)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

The tires i run are the parelli's I run their recomended pressure. think it is around 50 psi. the only thing you feel is a slight shake after sitting a cold night. it is inherant of the the parellis cold flat spotting, goes away after 3-4 miles . I will post some pics later.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
The tires i run are the parelli's I run their recomended pressure. think it is around 50 psi. the only thing you feel is a slight shake after sitting a cold night. it is inherant of the the parellis cold flat spotting, goes away after 3-4 miles . I will post some pics later.
MAJOR difference in running E-rated 22" tires and G or higher rated 22.5" tires. I do look forward to the pics.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
MAJOR difference in running E-rated 22" tires and G or higher rated 22.5" tires. I do look forward to the pics.
What is the difference??

Quick Reply: Putting 22.5's on my F-350 dually?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.