Notices

Match trailer wheels to truck?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Match trailer wheels to truck?

I'm shopping for a new trailer for my new (to me) Formula 311. Most suggest a triple axle, but Bruce at All American was thinking about a heavy duty tandem. That would mean 16 inch 8-bolt wheels, and got me thinking about getting a set of GM OEM wheels to match my 3/4 ton Yukon XL.
One thing I was just thinking about though is the trailer studs are probably not the same metric as the truck. Different lug nuts means no center cap, means not getting a Formula Thunderbird logo sticker on the center caps.
I wonder if I can change the wheel studs in a trailer hub to use GM metrics?
I know, crazy idea, but I'm full of 'em, and I think it might be cool.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Match trailer wheels to truck?

I considered getting the same size wheels so the spares would match up....never did it though.
just my $.02: A tandem will carry the load if everything is right. If you trailer often your going to have a blow-out.....with a tandem your done, (and may have a mess if the tire goes at highway speed) with a triple you can still make it home, even if it's just on the shoulder.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

If its a toss up between tandem or triple axle trailer, get the triple; definately; for all the reasons that Russ mentioned and then some.

After you get the trailer, pick up some aluminum Pacer wheels in the Outlaw II style. (American Racing Equipment discontinued the Outlaw II). You can get them in just about any bolt configuration. I had the same wheels on my previous truck; which matched the boat trailer. They run about $100/wheel retail. I also have two trailer spares.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I agree with all that and have ZERO intention of towing right at capacity, always like to have some room over the manufacturer's specs.
But that's what gets me about the triple setup. Most start out offering 3500lb axles x 3 = 10500 gross axle cap. Subtract 1500 for the trailer and you've got barely enough for the 8500lb (wet?) boat. AND, some want to put 14s on it...crazy. On a triple I'd get 3 5k lb for 15k cap with big 15s and be safe.
BUT, on a HD tandem they'll be 2 x 6k axles, so there's a bit more cap there. Plus bigger tires should be able to handle the heat a little better. The biggest thing keeping me from a tandem is just how high the boat will sit off the ground. I still need to be able to get it on & off the trailer
Funny thing is, none of this has anything to do with cost. I just have this idea of wanting the same wheels strictly for looks, and I can get the GM forged aluminum wheels for about $100 each.
Sure would be easier if I had 6-bolt hubs on the truck...
Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I've got triple 6K axles on my trailer. 6 lug 16x7 ARE/Pacer OutlawII wheels rated for 3K lbs each, and E rated Firestone TransForce Tires rated at 3K lbs each. The trailer bounces like a dumptruck when empty, but carries my 9500 lb (dry) Active Thunder very well.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Here is another tip. That Yukon XL will tow 200% better with 8" wide wheels vs. the 6" wide wheels that are on it now. Also, since the rear axle is almost 4" narrower than the front axle, you know the front wheels stick out.

I had the same truck with a different body, (2500 Avalanche). I installed the rear 2" spacers and went to 16x8 wheels, and then when to 17x8 wheels. For one weekend inbetween, I went to the factory 16x6 wheels and factory tires, and trust me... towing was downright scary. Seriously, no BS. If you go to a wider wheel, it will tow MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

http://www.correctrack.com/ for the spacers.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered

Hey Sydwayz, you're absolutely right! I had forgotten about Correctrack's spacers.
Thanks for confirming what I always suspected: 8" wheels would be a ton better. I've looked around but never got any info on what backspacing/offset to get so they still stay just a tad inside the wheel well. I figure a 265/75-16 on 8" wheels would look perfect, but the 245/75 is always rated a little higher. How does the 245 look on a 8"?
I also have a 24' Haulmark enclosed trailer that I haul my racecar in. I bought, but haven't hooked up yet, a weght distributing setup and anti-sway bar. But honestly, the worst sway is a passing semi, but it's easily manageable...and I'm a 75mph'er...wish I had a diesel though.
I'm thinking about going back to K.I.S.S. and just get the triple with 5k axles. At least the Haulmark uses the same wheel.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I had 265s on the 16x8. They are now called the Cooper Discoverer ATR, and they come as a 265 in an E load rating. This was on a 16x8 American Racing Outlaw II wheel. I don't recall the backspacing, but it was COTS, not special order.
www.coopertires.com

The Avalanche has smaller wheel wells than the Suburban/YukonXL, and I had a slight bit of front end rub on reverse turns at full lock.

I went to a 17x8 wheel Helo Maxx8 wheels with BFGoodrich Rugged Trail TA, that were 265 as well and E load rated. These tires had no rub, and the whole setup looked and towed very well.

Be aware that rear airbags dramatically improve the towing stability of that frame/vehicle too. OutlawMark here in OSO did all the work on my truck. He made my valve stem air fills for the air bags my rear license plate bolts for a trick/stealth install. You will see a nice improvement towing that Haulmark as well. I am on my work computer. I will find some pics on my personal computer in a few.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

16x8 ARE with Coopers:
Attached Thumbnails Match trailer wheels to truck?-av-fl.jpg   Match trailer wheels to truck?-av-fr.jpg  
Old 10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

17x8 Helo Maxx8 wheels with BFGoodrich:
Attached Thumbnails Match trailer wheels to truck?-dsc01016.jpg   Match trailer wheels to truck?-wheel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Match trailer wheels to truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.