Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans >

how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

Notices

how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

i was thinking about going with a manual trans for the truck im taking to costa rica, but was wondering if manuals trans are a pain to tow with, say pulling out at the ramp and hualing a heavy boat. any feedback would be great, thx, rm
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

I hate shifting. Been towin with deisle automatics since 94. Would never deal with a stick again.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

I'd hate to do it. A sports car, sure no problem, but up the ramp with 10K#, no thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

No way I would want a stick shift on a ramp. I've done it before. It sucks big time. Launching is no problem. Retrieving sucks.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Registered

I had autos in earlier 1/2ton type stuff- smaller loads etc.

I've run an 01 Dodge/Cummins for 80k+, 80% towing- 5 speed

now have 03 Dodge/Cummins hit 80k miles today, towing 90% 10-16k wt trailers -6 speed

most towing now OTR with my FL70 toterhome- eaton fuller 6 speed

the sticks are simple and reliable, could be a consideration for outside US support. each has a granny gear- a breeze on the ramps- with the gov on the diesels you'd have to be an idiot to stall it- my 12 yr old son, daughter and wife can all run the truck on the ramp with no issues. That said- the FL70 granny is a bit taller an needs a little clutch finess on hills and on the ramp. The Dodges are idiot-proof, don't even use low range or 4wd
Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Registered

Have been towing with my 7.3 PSD since new (1996), not a problem at all. No different than starting off up a hill with a stick. Just use 1st gear, don't even have to give it throttle. When driving normally, with no trailer, start off in 2nd. My boat/trailer is probably around 8500 pounds. I actually wanted a stick when I bought my truck new, because at the time, automatics were known not to hold up well with the diesels. Automatics have come along ways for diesels since 1996 though.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

easier to slow down with a manual...no problems here
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i've done ramps plenty of times with a manual its no biggy.

learn to drive ladies..........
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm going to go manual on my next truck. I've never liked automatics with their inherent problems. Not worried one bit about a ramp. I had a F250 that was manual and I loved it.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Kodiak with a Cat 3116TD 6 speed trans. No prolbem at the ram pulling out @13,000lbs of boat. Just use the granny gear. Yes and auto would be the easiest. But do like the manuel trans.
Attached Thumbnails how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans-formula-022-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: how many of you guys are towing with a turbo diesels and a manual trans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.