Notices

tongue weights

Old 11-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: tongue weights

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
psssst...with all this being said...WHATS THE CORRECT TONGUE WEIGHT...LMFAOOO

There is no "correct" tongue weight. The boat mfg doesn't know and neither does the trailer mgf. There's no law or standard so there's no absolute.

I think most of the rule-of-thumb has been posted. Of course not exceeding the hitch rating, probably somewhere around 10% of total trailer weight with the boat fueled and loaded. Basically, start heavy and move the boat back until you get sway (be DAMN careful) the back off a bit.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattitude

Chris, that was a worthy response- and exactly why I have not lifted my 3500 (cause 90% of the miles are towing)- but some are in love with the look and still want to tow. IMHO a fabtech mild lift on 33's is within reason for his boat- it would be worked much harder if it was a similar weight enclosed race trailer with a shorter WB etc- boats are such easy towing, all towed stuff considered. he still has a lot of WB- more than a lot of normal cab duallies etc- I suppose the braking weight bias would be more dominant to the front with the higher COG

In the mean time- my otr towing is done with an FL70 toter on 270" wb, so I recognize the benefits you refer to- but as always, there is optimum, and good/safe enough within reason

I've never seen a light truck wheel that did not have the weight rating stamped/cast into the spokes/center on the backside- thought there were laws passed in the 70's or somethign????
Out of curiosity, I checked the weight of the 353. 9500# dry. Figure 11,000# ready to splash plus the trailer's weight. Maybe 13K?# That's a bunch for a regular-height dually. I've seen first hand how a boat that size (Cig) can take a truck that size (or in my case an F450) and wrench it off the road and over an embankment.

I too have an FL70 that I tow with. It's worth every cent.

Unfortunately with wheels, it's caveat emptor. Wheelpros wheels come with nothing. No labelling, no paperwork in the box.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a wd hitch..??? Great for hiding problems like yours
Old 11-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the scales will confirm- I've been around a lot of Formulas, even with all the amenities- I would not have guessed that heavy- my bud's 42' Tiger is 11000 ish (so he says the specs say). I've had 15-16k hooked to my Dodge (23500 at the scales with all passengers, tanks full) cross country and thru mtns , but that was a gn and they handle better, have an ex brake etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes...gooseneck is totally a different animal.....what is it with that web site saying no more than 10g on the hitch on any psd......the way I read it is such.....but for towing the rest of the weights you have to be gooseneck....Now if you look on your insurance policies here in jersey....all this is adressed in fine print...and also in there is aftermarket add ons....I am sure they are now using all of this against us if needed....they are in business not to pay out...if that is true about psd on the hitch.....everybody is in trouble if the ins. co. wants them..
Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

according to all the paper work i have she's 8575 dry and carries 159 gals of fuel at 8lbs a gallon that would be approx 9850 with fuel. i'm gonna start the tongue weight at 750 and go from there...spoke with 3 trailer manufacturers told them what im towing and what im towing with and they all said 5-800 lbs so we'll see what happens...
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
carries 159 gals of fuel at 8lbs a gallon that would be approx 9850 with fuel..

Actually 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. So you will weigh even less