Notices

Bent Techsun trailer

Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but I think a roller aft of the bow eye is a bad idea. There's a good chance the eye will catch the roller coming and going.
Most seem to think the catcher is the way to go. Did you see this thread: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=151958
Good luck though. Share what you end up doing.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Great suggestion. I'm going to fabricate a stop like Tanks. I can slide it below the bow eye to add support to the bow and it won't interfere with the eye. Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 382 newbie
My Techsun trailer seems to be bending in front of the front axle. My 382 weighs 14700 and I have 1,340 on the tounge. Tech sun has told me this is normal and there is no warrenty. The warrenty evaporated because they changed their name. Oh by the way supposedly they are no longer techsun but are now Del Mar Trailers. The phone is still the same, The web site is still TechSun. They just call themselves Del Mar. Any suggestions?

If the company was sold via an "asset sale" then they may have discharged the prior liabilities of Tech Sun. If it was a "stock sale" then they did assume the liabilities including warranties. Sucks that Del Mar is trying to avoid warranties.

On a seperate note I would look at putting a weight bearing bunks further forwar. most of the Aluminum trailers are bolt together- pretty easy to have them fabricated.

Wannabe
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the trailer is bending, there's a pretty good chance it has inadequacies in other areas, one's that maybe haven't shown up yet. God forbid this doesn't happen but in a worst-case scenario, you may have to explain to a jury about knowing about these things and not either replacing the trailer with an adequate one or seeking a remedy via a professional approach (an engineer, not a local welder). I hate to be the nattering nabob of negativism but this stuff does happen.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by On The Heat
And I would do it all over again...very well pleased with it and the Sunsation guys were impressed as well!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...hlight=manning
I talked to Ron Manning about a trailer for my 311 .. Super nice guy ... An option I asked him about ...

Instead of triple axle going to a tandem setup .... I keep our boat on a lift in a boathouse .... The Trailer is only used 4-5 times a year at most ... And seldom take a trip .. It would be 1/3 less Axle and Tires ....brakes ect ... Manning said it can de done ...Heaver Axles and 16" Tires .. Said he has built Tandems for 36 footers ....
What you guys think ? .....m
Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

Hey Mike, Bruce at All American down here turned me on to the same idea. I was working down that road but in the end, the higher cost of the bigger pieces negated any savings. For me, I also didn't like the idea that everything would sit higher to clear the taller wheels/tires; after looking at some local ramps I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get on/off at low tide.
I did like the idea of 8-bolt hubs/16 inch wheels because I was thinking about using factory GM HD wheels which would match the truck. If I recall, that setup used 6k lb axles x2 = 12k gross; right about perfect.
But here's a thought: my 24' enclosed car trailer has two 5klb torsion axles for a 10k gross. It runs on 6-bolt 15" wheels/tires rated at 2540lbs/each (x4=10k lbs). I wonder if those axle ratings would be available in the marine/galvanized/stainless variety. Keeping the wheels/tires/brakes to that size might save a bunch of $ for a seldom used trailer.
I ended up with the triple 3.5k =10.5k gross package (brakes on two axles) for under $5k; but I got lucky and the trailer showed up with the heavy duty tires same as my car trailer.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

When I asked Techsun (now delmar trailers) If they had product liability as Techsun they refused to say. If there was some sort of an accident I would guess the attorneys would go after the principals. The web site is the same..techsun.the phone is the same..techsun, just a different name. They,Techsun now Del mar said it was "normal" I emailed them at least 10 detailed photos.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

2 axles vs. 3 axles; an excerpt from another post I put up a few days ago:

I'd go with a triple axle trailer given the choice, no question.

You have a lot more tire under the trailer in case of a bad situation. With a tandem axle, if you loose a tire or wheel at speed, you immediately have a weight transfer to/from your tow vehicle. (Lose a front tire, more weight on trailer tongue, front wheels of truck get loose. Lose a rear tire, rear of truck lifts a bit.)

With a triple axle trailer, if you lose a wheel/tire/hub, you can just chain it up, and keep going. With a tandem, you are stuck right there, fixing your problem. (Not cool in busy traffic/inclement weather situation.)

With a tandem, you can have (disc preferred) brakes on two axles, and one free rolling axle that will never lock up.

And last, when you are ascending or descending a ramp, at the crest, all of your weight is loaded on the front axle, briefly. This eventually wears out the suspension on the front axle. With a triple axle trailer, you still have two good axles, which will let that third axle relax its suspension a bit, without having to do a major axle overhaul.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

I put 3 6K axles under a 8K boat even when the trailer builder tried talking me into a tandem. It cost and extra 700-800 for piece of mind carrying a boat worth ALOT more than that!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Well, I redesigned the bow catcher and moved the boat back a bit. The bow catcher needs to support a considerable amount of weight to keep the I beams on the trailer somewhat straight. The trailer depends on the rigidity of the boat for support. I have to adjust the forward bunks up to support the center vee. I think it will be OK. I think it is still crummy for Techsun (now Del Mar...sorta) to bail out on any warrenty.

Quick Reply: Bent Techsun trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.