Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap. >

Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap.

Notices

Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts
Default Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap.

I started to type this on BillR's thead on transom abrasion protection, but figured this was worth its own independently referencable thread

Before you do ANY towing w/ the cockpit cover on, go pick up two lengths of Styrofoam pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowe's. Pull off the adhesive from the two sides of the slits on the insulation They come off in long strips.

Splice the two lengths of pipe insulation together with shrink wrap tape.

Then place the entire length of pipe insulation over the windscreen on the boat (on AT, Cigarette, Fountain, Sonic, etc as it extends down to the fiberglass top of the gunwales). Trim each end to size/length, with enough room for the end to come down to the gunwale.

Secure the Styrofoam down with three pieces of shrink wrap tape, either end, and middle.

Now install your cockpit cover or shrink wrap.

This will keep wind vibration/suction or impact blow to your cockpit cover from damaging the edges of your windscreen.

I have been doing this for several years, and although I broke a windscreen due to another issue, my windscreens have remained in perfect condition otherwise.

Most cockpit covers have a vinyl backing to protect the cockpit cover from sharper edges on the boat, but this is not designed to be friendly to the boat.

Plexus available from Boaters World, West Marine, and a few other places is great for cleaning and protecting such.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-24-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

great idea
Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea Brian.

I put towels on the windshield to protect it all the way down. I also put towels on the front seat backs and the engine scoops to keep the top from rubbing them.

Hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Windshield protection

That's a great idea that few think about. We delivered a boat with our F-150 Lightning amd when we got there we had to pry out the love bugs by the dozen!!! but the windshield was certified to 140 mph
Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Hey Brian....good to see you are getting better. I have the same set-up for my windscreen except I also have these little "booties" to cover the plexi first, then put the pipe ins. over. My boat has 3 individual windscreens...all this was fabricated by the previous owner.
Hope to see you guys soon.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap.-dsc01492.jpg   Windscreen abrasion protection when towing with cockpit cover or shrink wrap.-dsc01493.jpg  
Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had good results with blue painters tape on the wind screen edges . cheap and easy to store. I also tape the front edge of the cover where it meets the wind screen and it keeps the bugs out
Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Very good information and great ideas. Thanks