Notices

Over Greasing?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Greasing?

When is it to much grease in the bearings of my trailer.I did some repacking of the bearings and I was told not too over grease them.I useally grease them to see if any water comes out.Grease them till I see grease starting to come out of the front bearing.Am I doing it wrong?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have bearing buddies you will see the grease fitting move outward as you grease them. When it's all the way out stop. If you over grease them you will blow the seals out and that allows water to go in when you launch. You can also get grease on the brakes which doesn't help stopping and can even catch on fire. The bearings really don't need much grease if they were packed right when installed. And you should clean and repack them once a year anyhow.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
When is it to much grease in the bearings of my trailer.I did some repacking of the bearings and I was told not too over grease them.I useally grease them to see if any water comes out.Grease them till I see grease starting to come out of the front bearing.Am I doing it wrong?

no...just use your right hand
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over-greasing can cause your caps to pop off when the hubs get hot. If the caps are real tight, it can cause seal displacement. If you use bearing buddies, pump them until about 1/2 to 1/3 travel of the piston is accomplished. The most important thing is using good, waterproof trailer bearing grease. I like to pull them apart once a year and clean/check everything. Seals are cheap and I've seen BB's with seized pistons before.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
no...just use your right hand
Don't start none there won't be none.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Over-greasing can cause your caps to pop off when the hubs get hot. If the caps are real tight, it can cause seal displacement. If you use bearing buddies, pump them until about 1/2 to 1/3 travel of the piston is accomplished. The most important thing is using good, waterproof trailer bearing grease. I like to pull them apart once a year and clean/check everything. Seals are cheap and I've seen BB's with seized pistons before.
The Myco has a grease fitting in the end of the axle on the front that is hollow through it and the grease just comes out a hole in front of the back seal.I've greased them before and did it until water or grease started to come out of the front bearing.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Speakin' of greaseing something til it came out the front....lesley says hi...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Speakin' of greaseing something til it came out the front....lesley says hi...
Tell her to quit teasing me with the whip cream and
strawberry pics.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Tell her to quit teasing me with the whip cream and
strawberry pics.

I remember you telling me you liked those pics of John covered in whip cream and strawberry's.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

The Myco has a grease fitting in the end of the axle on the front that is hollow through it and the grease just comes out a hole in front of the back seal.I've greased them before and did it until water or grease started to come out of the front bearing.
I don't have bearing buddies, but I have the same spindle as docmanrich37. I just pump in the grease until it comes out the front nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Over Greasing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.