Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis? >

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Notices

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Trying to decide if I want to do the big truck route again. I hate the Chevy 4500s and not a fan of the F650s.

Does anyone have one of these newer ones and how do you like it? I am looking at the MB 330 HP motor.

I'll be towing a Formula 370SS that is about 22k on the trailer with full fuel.

Anyone tow that weight with a Sportchassis on here?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an FL70 that I use to tow but I have one of the Sports in my work truck fleet. Well built truck- better than the old FL's. I like it better than the Int'l. I looked at Pete & KW but couldn't justify the cost difference for the negligible increase in construction quality. Plus, the FL has a larger dealer network.

My experience with the FL dealers is that they're not as competent as the motor mfg's service centers are. I've stuck with Cat simply because they have shops everywhere. They bone you severely on parts though. That's a concern with me as my trucks are all over and if they don't run, we don't eat. A toy hauler maybe isn't so critical. Also, mine go to 350K before they leave us. You probably won't get that kind of miles on yours ever.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not own one but have been looking very hard at them. I live just three miles from Trailers of the East Coast and we have driven a few and LOVE them.

They had an F650 there a year ago that was traded in on a SportChassis and it only had 25K miles. I drove it as a comparison and there is no comparision in my opinion.

The SportChassis is definately worth the extra money and I understand why they can charge more after driving one. They ride and drive much better. I think it rides better then my F350 does, it will turn on a dime, the interior options are off the charts and even with the tow bed they have a huge amount of storage.

I always liked the Cat engines, but everything they are getting now has the Mercedes and I assume it is as good. Just not sure about the dealer network, service and parts like Cat.

I'm having a hard time spending that much money but as the 1tons keep going up they look better and better. I look at it as the last truck I will ever need!

Resale has to be very good because you cannot find a used one.

Good luck
Old 07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I do not own one but have been looking very hard at them. I live just three miles from Trailers of the East Coast and we have driven a few and LOVE them.

They had an F650 there a year ago that was traded in on a SportChassis and it only had 25K miles. I drove it as a comparison and there is no comparision in my opinion.

The SportChassis is definately worth the extra money and I understand why they can charge more after driving one. They ride and drive much better. I think it rides better then my F350 does, it will turn on a dime, the interior options are off the charts and even with the tow bed they have a huge amount of storage.

I always liked the Cat engines, but everything they are getting now has the Mercedes and I assume it is as good. Just not sure about the dealer network, service and parts like Cat.

I'm having a hard time spending that much money but as the 1tons keep going up they look better and better. I look at it as the last truck I will ever need!

Resale has to be very good because you cannot find a used one.

Good luck
I'm wondering how it pulls 20k+ up the grades. We have some moutain areas here out west and I wanted to get an idea of how hard/fast it would tow it.

1 lake I go o a few times a year takes us through some mountains, not like the rockies, but there are some good grades through it.

And... Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 422 Likes on 133 Posts

I have 3 buddies with the Sport Chassis, 1 with the 330 Cat and 2 with the MB. The Cat pulls OK, but could use more power. There is a major expense in boosting the Cat. The MB's seem to have more power stock and are fairly easy to boost. They do ride and drive nice though.

You might look at the new F450 as well if you have a gooseneck trailer. 22K is too much for the bumper pull on any truck.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boosting a Cat is truly unaffordable. You can order the 330 HP RV/Fire engine motor t a comparable price though.

The horsepower rating on diesels doesn't mean squat. The 1,000 Ft/Lb torque that either of those motors puts out does. It will pull a load way better than any pickup truck. It will do it all the time, for a long time. Take a Duramax, Ford 6.0 or Dodge Cummins out and run it all day at 100% and it's not going to live long.

The big difference is if you run into trouble. The big chassis of a medium will yank the boat where it needs to be. With a dually, you're going where the load wants to take you. Been there.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
I have 3 buddies with the Sport Chassis, 1 with the 330 Cat and 2 with the MB. The Cat pulls OK, but could use more power. There is a major expense in boosting the Cat. The MB's seem to have more power stock and are fairly easy to boost. They do ride and drive nice though.

You might look at the new F450 as well if you have a gooseneck trailer. 22K is too much for the bumper pull on any truck.
The 450 is my other option. It would be nice to have a smaller truck that fits in the garage without having to do an addition to the house. However, the pulling pros of the FL really make me swing that way.

Wife wants a 450, I want the FL. I think resale would be better on the FL.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Boosting a Cat is truly unaffordable. You can order the 330 HP RV/Fire engine motor t a comparable price though.

The horsepower rating on diesels doesn't mean squat. The 1,000 Ft/Lb torque that either of those motors puts out does. It will pull a load way better than any pickup truck. It will do it all the time, for a long time. Take a Duramax, Ford 6.0 or Dodge Cummins out and run it all day at 100% and it's not going to live long.

The big difference is if you run into trouble. The big chassis of a medium will yank the boat where it needs to be. With a dually, you're going where the load wants to take you. Been there.
My brother has a F650 with the Cat and he hates it. He is trying to add more power to it, and he has even thought about putting a powerstroke in it instead. I told him not to do that, but he is ready to dump the C7 motor.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 422 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic34
The 450 is my other option. It would be nice to have a smaller truck that fits in the garage without having to do an addition to the house. However, the pulling pros of the FL really make me swing that way.

Wife wants a 450, I want the FL. I think resale would be better on the FL.
I have about 13,000 miles pulling a 44 MTI(which yours is much heavier), and it pulls like a dream other than the tiny fuel tank.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 FL that I am pulling my 46 Cig with. Its pulled from Indiana to Florida and back twice already, the Pickwick races, Michigan, Dale Hollow twice, and getting ready for LOTO. I even use it for recreational activities without the boat such as tailgating at the Colts games and weekend trips. I have had zero issues and it doesn't even feel like the boat is back there. The comfort and amenities are unbelievable. I pulled it with an F350 prior. Mine has the 330 hp Mercedes and I cannot recommend it enough.

PM me if you want more info.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?-sportchassis_front.jpg   Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?-sportchassis_inside.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.