Notices

hauling boat

Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hauling boat

I Have a 47' Fountain sc. I have been researching The F450 or a rig, i.e. Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc. Which of these two would be better equipped to handle hauling my boat, the F450 or the rig. I would like to know about how safe each one is compared to the other: handling, stopping power, manuverability and over the road highway driving in busy traffic at high speeds. I would like to know which vehicle is preferred to carry this fairly large load. I understand that both can do the job, but what, if any, advantage is there to either vehicle: price, upkeep costs, (daily driving would have to go to the F450, unless you were a trucker by trade). I appreciate any comments either way, good or bad. My brother seems to think that a rig would be safer and less expensive in the long run(cheaper to buy, used, and minimally used hence little upkeep expense). I think that I could use the F450 for daily use as well and not have to get another car for daily use.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I Have a 47' Fountain sc. I have been researching The F450 or a rig, i.e. Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc. Which of these two would be better equipped to handle hauling my boat, the F450 or the rig. I would like to know about how safe each one is compared to the other: handling, stopping power, manuverability and over the road highway driving in busy traffic at high speeds. I would like to know which vehicle is preferred to carry this fairly large load. I understand that both can do the job, but what, if any, advantage is there to either vehicle: price, upkeep costs, (daily driving would have to go to the F450, unless you were a trucker by trade). I appreciate any comments either way, good or bad. My brother seems to think that a rig would be safer and less expensive in the long run(cheaper to buy, used, and minimally used hence little upkeep expense). I think that I could use the F450 for daily use as well and not have to get another car for daily use.
Your last sentence is right.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
Your last sentence is right.
My 1 and only vehichle! Love it!!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This question comes up pretty regularly so a look back at some of those very long threads will shed some light for you.

Short version- I towed many white knuckle miles with essentially the same truck and about 7000 lbs less boat- until I finally ran out of luck & rolled it over an embankment. Bought a Freightliner & now my travels are much more relaxed. I don't get blown all over the road and close calls aren't nearly as frightening.

There are many ways to rationalize not having enough truck to do the job. None of them will pull your a$$ out of the fire when things take a downward turn.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i've got a 6500 topkick i'd do a deal on. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=165975

FYI i will no longer tow heavy loads with a dually, get a real truck and never have to worry about it handlign the load.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

wrinkleface, how much does your boat weigh and are you set up as a fifth wheel or conventional. How does the f450 handle it?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

WrinkleNuts only tows his 1/8 mile to launch. Of course he'll say she pulls like a dream
Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 03 dually and now an 07 kodiak. Havent hooked to the dually in over 5 months for the kodiak out does it. No white knouckle rides when an idiot pulls out in front of you or blows a red light and you goto panic stop. My next move will be either a sportchassis, but I am in cowboy country so going to the store with it is no big deal. Another Option that is on the board is to get a kenworth t2000, volvo 660, pete387, single out the rear end put a hauler bead on it and roll. You can get these rigs used cheap with good mileage and a bigger motor, and automatics. ALso by the time you single it, you can usually trade the extra axle in and such and come out even with out extra money out of the pocket.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

What kind of boat do you pull?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered

Fountain47

I was in the same dilemna you were and went with a Freightliner SportChassis with the MBZ motor.

I even kept my 06 3500 dually incase I hated the Freightliner.

After running the Freightliner for 3 miles on the highway, I am so happy with the decision. I have had a 05 Kodiak ($80k) and hated it. The Freightliner is 10x better in my opinion.

The Kodiak will pull it nicely on the highway, flat highway. Up a hill, might take a week or so. The truck just weighs too much for the Dmax. I had the LLY motor. My 3500 flat outpulled the 4500 in all aspects.

For your info, my boat now is a 22,000+ pound setup on the trrailer, and I always trailer it everywhere. Usually at least a 1 hour tow to the local lake.

Quick Reply: hauling boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.