Notices

What tow vehicle

Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tow vehicle

Just sold my '01 F150 supercrew. Put 130,000 trouble free miles on it and then, coming home from the Bay Area to L.A., blew a spark plug out of the engine. Come to find out this is quite a problem for Ford but they aren't doing anything about it.
I've got my eye on a 25' Larson Senza Spectre and will need a vehicle to tow it. Tow distance will only be a few miles. I would like to get the minimum truck for my needs. My biggest concern would be pulling the boat back out of the water at the boat ramp.
I'm thinking a 1/2 ton 4X4 should fit my needs. I'm I underestimating my needs?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

see what the boat weights in at dry and add for the extra gear/ fuel trailer, and go from there. A nissan titan/toyota 4x4 would be a nice rig/ or the typical chevy/gm/for/dodge routine.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 3birds
Just sold my '01 F150 supercrew. Put 130,000 trouble free miles on it and then, coming home from the Bay Area to L.A., blew a spark plug out of the engine. Come to find out this is quite a problem for Ford but they aren't doing anything about it.
I've got my eye on a 25' Larson Senza Spectre and will need a vehicle to tow it. Tow distance will only be a few miles. I would like to get the minimum truck for my needs. My biggest concern would be pulling the boat back out of the water at the boat ramp.
I'm thinking a 1/2 ton 4X4 should fit my needs. I'm I underestimating my needs?
Any of the 1/2 ton offerings will do what you need them to do, BUT, go with the biggest engine available. You definitely want a 4x4.

HOWEVER, if you plan on a another (bigger) boat one day, go bigger on the truck NOW, so you don't have to upgrade truck and boat with the same check someday.

"There is NO such thing as too much truck."

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-19-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

I was recently in same tow vehicle market as you. It came down to Nissan Titan, Tundra or used Duramax. My boat is 4500# and I do not plan on upgrading anytime soon so I went with Titan. With the 08's on lots and 07 incentives they are dealing. Personally I could not justify the extra $$ for diesel, but like Sydwayz says if you think you might upgrade then seriously consider a bigger truck. But if you are staying with the same boat , either will do good, you will shocked how well either the Titan or the Tundra will pull your boat compared to your F150 with 5.4L (I knew that because of the flying spark plug). Night and day. Definally go 4x4 IMHO , I was on fence 2WD or 4WD so as a test I have been keeping it in the 2WD. 3rd trip out with my new truck to a ramp I don't commonly visit was so snotty no way 2WD was getting it. You don't need it too often with a limited slip rear end, but when you need it........... you really need it.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I'll focus on a 4X4. We have a boat in a slip but are looking for something to run around in and do poker runs. Shouldn't need anything bigger than 25'. I like the Titan, lot of truck for the buck.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to get the minimum truck for my needs.
The trick here is defining your needs. If you feel your needs are moving the boat down a dry, level road, that's alot different than having enough truck to bail you out if someone changes lanes into you or blows a stoplight in front of you. If you're going to tow any distance over big hills and curves, you'll need alot more truck as well. Finally there's the white-knuckle factor. If you arrive at the ramp exhausted from the stress of the drive, you'll probably find yourself going alot less often.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
"There is NO such thing as too much truck."
Amen.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll focus on a 4X4. We have a boat in a slip but are looking for something to run around in and do poker runs. Shouldn't need anything bigger than 25'. I like the Titan, lot of truck for the buck.
Take a look at this boat then.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17835-en.html
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered

I'll be keeping the boat about 2 miles from the ramp so my actual towing will be minimal. I appreciate everyone's feedback. My main concern was the haul out at the ramp. I understand completely about the comfort level of having the correct tow vehicle.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Hauling out at the ramp shouldn't be a problem for any 4x4 in 4 low