Notices

Gooseneck with SRW F250

Old 08-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You have to own a dually to truly understand what a hassle they are. No bank drive thru's, no car washes. Very tough in many fast food places. You'll also be parking far out in the lot wherever you go- parking spaces seem to be shrinking anyway so they're even more less "dually friendly" There's no substitute for one out on the road though.
Exactly, Ive got 4 dooleys and 2 3/4 srw. If it wasnt for the boat I would get rid of the dooleys, seems to be a pita lately.

Mental..the winters the time to come, great boating as long as the tides up, if not, we'll go fishin.

Last edited by Jassman; 08-22-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thoughts!!

We are in that process now of looking at tow vehicles for the next boat..

I have a 3/4 crew cab 4x4 and tow alot of construction equipment now.... but if we get the new boat I will definately switch to duallie...

Although my wife swears she will not drive it... EVER even though I told her chicks in big trucks are HOT
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
IMHO with a bumper pull trailer the total load is being drug. A gooseneck trailer causes part of the load to be carried and the balance pulled.

A typical gooseneck trailer design will probably set the axles to provide a relative envelope wieght range on the ball. That wieght may far exceed the normal wieght found on the bumper pull ball.

You referanced 15,200#,If that number is the wieght of your boat and a bumper pull trailer,you may want to add 1,000# for the gooseneck trailer. However,not all 1,000# will go on the ball.

Suppose the trailer has two 8,000# axles w/ electric over hydraulic disc brakes and tires and wheels rated @ 4,000 to 4,500# each, we would have a substantial safety margin if we put 3,500 to 4,000# on the F250 gooseneck ball.(you may want the ball set 2 to 4"+/- ahead of the rear axle,otherwise known as the trunnion.)

The trailer axles will go towards the rear which causes the hitch to be heavier. The increased wheelbase will improve driveability and RIDE of the tow vehicle. Plus, the ball wieght is in the bed...Traction for the ramp will allow a two wheel drive w/positraction to rival a four wheel drive bumper pull.

I have no problem w/a F250 camper special and all the HD packages for this application.

Good Luck!
15,200 is the tow rating of the F250 towing gooseneck or 5th wheel. When towing with a conventional trailer the rating for the truck is 12,500 lbs.

Jass - call you later today - I am leaving in 10 minutes for the lake.