Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Forget the Dodge...Ford questions now >

Forget the Dodge...Ford questions now

Notices

Forget the Dodge...Ford questions now

Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not driven in the 08 Ford with a 5.4 but I have driven many 07 and older gasers. The 5.4 leaves alot to be desired in the power department. I would try a Chevy 6.0 Max before the ford gasser. You probably won't be happy towing anything with a gasser after having a diesel. Trust me been there down that! Go with the PSD, you will get most of your money back at resale time. Used diesels are a hot item right now.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

The big 3 are putting alot of money into 1/2 ton diesels. We should see them by 2010. Don't quote me but I have been told this by a pretty reliable source.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

I LOVE having a diesel; and mine is 'old school'; a 2000 PSD in a crew cab dually.

Even if I don't have anything to tow, I'll still own a diesel.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
I wouldn't have the patience to go back to (towing with) a gasser.
bingo.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Once you go diesel, you can't go back! The $money spent is like an investment; when you sell/trade you get it back & then some. Look @ resale values and longevity of diesel vs. gas; I think you got your answer.
Of course, the most important thing to me is towing up long grades and passing people w/ cruise set @ 78; getting 12mpg!
08' PSD; getting better mileage as I put on more miles.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The diesel will give you dramatically superior performance in every aspect. Gas engines are just fine for cars where there's little need ever for full-throttle usage. Diesels are made to operate at full throttle all day. If you pull your boat once a month and are looking for a multi-use vehicle, you'll probably be OK. If you are using this truck primarily for towing and will be using it alot, the gas engine isn't going to take the abuse. You can't just look at the additional gasoline usage cost vs. the upcharge for the diesel and get a clear picture. You may have to factor in a replacement engine as well, depending on how you use it.

if you do go gas, I'd plan on an oil change after every hard use of significant time span.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Sydwyz;
Your "oldschool" truck is one of the nicest ones I've seen....great job @ 'the Big Table'.
We couldn't make it to SML this wkend; too much work.
We will be there next sat. for sure; maybe you can swing it?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Well said Sunkin'
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Go with the oil burner for sure......heavy duty all the way. I don't imagine basically any good gas engine (v-8) will have a struggle pulling a boat.........but moving it isn't the problem, its the handling it, stopping it, and the other things. Just be sure to get it fully rigged, normally your diesel trucks come stock with a good towing cap and have the bigger brakes and such. You have to watch the gassers options when buying them, some of the 2500 series trucks aren't even as equipped as they should be when you factor stuff in with weight.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

IF you go with a gas, don't get the 5.4, go with the V10.

I just bought 2 08 F350 4 door dually 6 speed, v10 for crew trucks. I have to say, the V10 has more hp than the diesel, but the torque is still a little less. I was worried about the fuel mileage, but to my suprise, I am getting 11 mpg. I am satisfied. The trucks pull 20 foot bumper trailers with 2 6000# axles, we haul a Komatsu pc 35 excavator, and the truck pulls them fine. I crossed the lake charles la bridge in the truck at 60 mpg in 5th gear, and had to downshift to 4th by the top.

Our old chevy 1 ton dually with a 454 would have to downshift to 2nd by the top of the bridge.

In all, the diesel will get you approx the same if not a little better mileage than the gas, and more torque, which you want while towing. Also, a programmer or chip can be added to the diesel, and make it feel like you have a large sports car.

Quick Reply: Forget the Dodge...Ford questions now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.