Notices

What is an RV......to the DOT

Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What is an RV......to the DOT

I am buying a box truck.....I don't want to stop at weigh stations , permits, etc...... what is the legal definition of an RV / motorhome
Old 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

self contained. Check out www.escapees.com for a bunch of info on the conversion/requirements/registrition of said converted vehicles. click the link the hit the members section then the forums most info that you need will be in the class 8 hdt section. hope that helps eve some people tell you where to go and register and all that.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Found what I wanted , thanks, it shouldn't be a big deal....

Federal Motor Home Guidelines:

Motor Home means a multi-purpose vehicle with motive power that is designed to provide
temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four of the
following facilities:

a. Cooking - a small microwave is acceptable
b. Refrigeration or Ice Box - either a 12 volt, 110 volt or LP powered refrigerator is acceptable
c. Self-contained Toilet - a porta potti is acceptable
d. Heating and or Air Conditioning - factory heat or air is acceptable with separate sleeper berth
control
e. Potable Water Supply System including a Faucet and Sink
f. Separate 110-125 Volt Electrical Power Supply and or an LP Gas Supply - generator, inverter or
a shore power inlet is acceptable
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

As a side note,
If registered private (non-comercial, not for hire), no airbrakes and the gross weight is under 25,999 lbs, you do not need a CDL. You will also not be required to stop @ weigh stations.
The vehicle has to be clearly marked either private or not for hire.
These are just general as rules vary from state to state.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
As a side note,
If registered private (non-comercial, not for hire), no airbrakes and the gross weight is under 25,999 lbs, you do not need a CDL. You will also not be required to stop @ weigh stations.
The vehicle has to be clearly marked either private or not for hire.
These are just general as rules vary from state to state.
Actually/many most staes you can exceed the 26k and have airbrakes IF it's an RV- my toter is that way.

The writing is on the wall that there will be more scrutiny in the future- if you appear to be using a commercial truck for a commercial reason you can expect to be hassled more-told you are commercial etc. When I go racing (commercial enterprise) the official line is that I'm going trail riding with friends and leave it at that- for that reason my toter and trailer are vanilla, just have sponsor stickers on the back of the trailer and they are "enthusiast" stickers- good luck
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

I think insurance and liability are a bigger issue than tickets and fines.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Airbrakes have nothing to do with a CDL on a vehicle under 26,001 lbs. Almost all of our trucks have airbrakes and not a single driver has a CDL. I've confirmed this myself with US DOT and every state we operate in.

Marking "not for hire" only tells an officer you aren't rated as a common carrier- freight-for-hire. Many coaches mark themselves "private coach" but there's no requirement to do so.

Bottom line- if you can get RV plates, you probably will never get stopped- unless it doesn't look like an RV. If you put RV plates on an old, yellow Penske truck, you'll probably get questioned more than you would if you just ignored the weigh stations altogether. If you "get cute" and sit a porta-potty and an alcohol stove in the back of your box truck, you stand a good chance of pissing off some DOT guy who's having a slow night. They will F### you up too. They'll park it at a station until you're 100% in compliance. That could mean a proper conversion or a re-registration with all the paperwork and insurance in order before they release it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I was being concise with my description of a non-comercial, non cdl vehicle. You are correct in the air brakes and 26,000 lbs.
What I was trying to say was it would be easier to just register the non-cdl truck private, and clearly mark it as so, so the police would leave it alone. You are right, you do not need the "Not for hire" but I know that if they see a plain vanilla truck with no lettering at all, it will be pulled over much more than a truck with lettering.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I was being concise with my description of a non-comercial, non cdl vehicle. You are correct in the air brakes and 26,000 lbs.
What I was trying to say was it would be easier to just register the non-cdl truck private, and clearly mark it as so, so the police would leave it alone. You are right, you do not need the "Not for hire" but I know that if they see a plain vanilla truck with no lettering at all, it will be pulled over much more than a truck with lettering.
I understand. It's a common misconception that any vehicle with air brakes requires a CDL. I was one until I found out otherwise.

I wasn't suggesting you were incorrect- it was just in yours and Cattitude's posts- I simply added that for clarification.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
I think insurance and liability are a bigger issue than tickets and fines.

from the "RV" side- my toterhome is cheaper to insure per year than my 03 Dodge 3500 SRW- go figure