Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraullic Question >

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Notices

Electric over Hydraullic Question

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakrite, tekonsha voyager.....properly adjusted....virtually no delay. I mean a couple of tenths of a second. Kodiak discs on all three axles.....could not be happier. I also installed all of it myself so I know it works right!!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis,

First, make sure your brake controller is installed properly in the cab. It should face forward and the best case scenario is to have it about level, the same way you would have a radar detector. I found this out the hard way after mine was installed straight down and sideways, and I wondered why the braking was all screwed up.

Next, get the boat on the trailer and head to an empty parking lot. Get up to about 20 mph and stop the truck using only the manual brake stop on the controller, no truck brakes. Adjust the gain until the rig comes to a complete stop with no jerking. This is the proper setting for the controller. You will have to play around with adjusting the gain and the soft / hard setting until you get it right.

It would be nice if you could just dial in the approximate weight of the boat and trailer and have the controller do the rest of the work but unfortunately it doesn't work that way...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Sounds like there may be air in the system..... have you tried bleeding the brakes?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.

Craig- I have the controller level in the truck..Like you said(like a radar detector).
I also did what you mentioned. No truck brakes just stopping by the controller. Full gain and when I max the slider on the controller still takes a few seconds or more.
This is a custom trailer $10K. Trip axel alum trailer with Full stainless Kodiak disc brakes.
I was looking at this.http://www.carlislebrake.com/product...se_results.php
I'll have todo more testing in a empty area to get some actaul time results.

Haha. I bet Brand B is brakemate and Brand D is dexter...

I did not rebleed. The dealer that installed the actuator bled the brakes. I guess I could double check. Seems easier with elect actuator. Have a bud pull the brake away and open the bleeder. Should pump the fluid quick.

Dennis

Last edited by bowtye8; 09-12-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The wiring harness furnished with the P3 may have an undersized ground wire.

You may want to call Techoncha and ask about thier optional wire harness that includes a larger ground wire.

They may also suggest, replace the original Techonsha furnished ground wire with a larger ground wire. The replacement would start at the cannon plug plugged into the control and run directly to the negative battery post.

The P3 should do everything you have said you want from your system.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a carlisle unit on my new Loadmaster that is hooked to an 06 ford with the factory controller. I have only pulled it a few times but I have the same 3-4 second delay and I don't like it at all. I'm sure this thing could get you in trouble on wet roads.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

It really sounds like air in the lines. The very first thing is to bleed it out.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It has been said the P3 should not be compared to some of the other units on the market. Further,it has been said,some factory installed units may require a larger ground wire.

Regardless,a call to techonsha's 800 phone number may garner better insight....If you have trouble finding the 800 number, report back.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bowtye8 I hope you get your problem resolved.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I just ordered a new Myco with electic over hydraulic brakes and I bought the new P3 controller also. I will not have the new trailer for about four weeks but over on TheDieselStop.Com they seem to think the BrakeSmart controller that works off the actual pressure you apply to the brake pedal is better then the P3.

I'm glad to see that many of you are happy with the P3.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

What about the one that comes stock installed in the new Ford Super Duty trucks. I have a 06 F350 Dually with a Diesel, and am getting ready to tow a 38 fastech from South Carolina to LA.

The trailer is an eagel with elec/hyd brakes. My truck has the brake control built in the dash of the truck.

I am not sure how well it works. I used to use the Tekonshia in my older truck, and worked great if it was mounted to anything in the dash.

At first I did not mount it, only plugged it in when I needed It, but it would slide around on the floor, and would not work properly until mounted rigid, and set.

IT would lock up the brakes if needed.

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraullic Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.