Notices

Rail Road Dust???

Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rail Road Dust???

what is the best way to remove it from the paint?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it coal dust or is it oily from the exhaust?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

clay bar, then usea light polishing compound by hand Tom (your good at that anhow we hear)...I had some on a ford truck I didnt see, it started rusting underneath the film had to remove kit, have the hood buffed and then reapply.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rail dust is a bigger problem with a white vehicle then others because it stands out. The previous post was right about clay bar and a cleaner wax.

If the vehicle is under warranty take it back to the dealer- free detailing.

Don't be shocked if it comes back especially on white and in salty air environments.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is rail road dust?

We only have wagons here

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

rail dust is when the cars are transported by trains, the steel wheels on the train and the iron rail of the track create friction and small amounts of hot iron dust settle on the horizontal surfaces of the car and melt in to the paint and rust, on light color car like white it looks like tiny specks reddish brown (rust) in color. the clay bars with a lubricant picks up the small iron chips on the surface and the buffing removes the rust stain left behind, i have seen it years ago so bad that you had to refinish. most vehicles are transported with plastic sheets on the horizontal surafaces this day and age so rail dust is seldom a problem but does occur.

later
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by augie58
Rail dust is a bigger problem with a white vehicle then others because it stands out. The previous post was right about clay bar and a cleaner wax.

Don't be shocked if it comes back especially on white and in salty air environments.
White Ford 05 F250 out of warranty....did not show up until I left my Truck in Galveston for 3 days, Salty area

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
clay bar, then usea light polishing compound by hand Tom (your good at that anhow we hear)...I had some on a ford truck I didnt see, it started rusting underneath the film had to remove kit, have the hood buffed and then reapply.
Thanks for the info....where can I get a clay bar??
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by later
rail dust is when the cars are transported by trains, the steel wheels on the train and the iron rail of the track create friction and small amounts of hot iron dust settle on the horizontal surfaces of the car and melt in to the paint and rust, on light color car like white it looks like tiny specks reddish brown (rust) in color. the clay bars with a lubricant picks up the small iron chips on the surface and the buffing removes the rust stain left behind, i have seen it years ago so bad that you had to refinish. most vehicles are transported with plastic sheets on the horizontal surafaces this day and age so rail dust is seldom a problem but does occur.

later
Thanks I wondered what the white plastic was for. The dust is kinda like when I wasted 2 months porting my iron cylinder heads and the dust rusted on everything that it got on I hate cast iron buggers

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Thanks for the info....where can I get a clay bar??
Mequire's or similar sells a clay bar kit at Advance Auto Parts/Pep Boys and the like. Its very small though, and a bit hard to work with.

You may try a local Auto Body Supply shop. They can usually be found in the yellow pages.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by augie58

Have you ever seen a dealer's "detail" job. I won't let them touch my vehicles. Personally I don't like swirl marks, or burned paint.

Some salesmen get offended, but do you really want the Mexican outback detailing your 50k $ truck?

Quick Reply: Rail Road Dust???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.