Notices

Bmw X5

Old 12-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw X5

Fixing to buy the wife one as a daily driver with the 4.4 engine. Any of you guys here have one or had one, tell me your pros and cons about it and exactly what you think. What was your MPG highway and city. Ever tow anything with it?? Weaknesses and strong points.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

I drive a 2001 model. I bought it in 03

I don't really tow anything with it, but its hardly had anything go wrong and chicks love it. Awesome exhaust note with the four pipes at the back.

Too be honest I don't even look at the fuel consumption...in Australia I can't fuel is too expensive!, I just fill it up...I just know that when i pay ($6 per gallon here now) its a f....g heap of $$$$!.

Fantastic car!.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
VIP Member

Are you buying a new one or used ??
Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have an '02 4.4 since new with 63,000 on the clock now. Incredible ride. Plan on full brakes including rotors every 30,000. Pull 16-18 in town, 20-22 highway. I have pulled as much as 24 mpg with a tail-wind.

Window regulators are a minor problem but $600 for repair. Had a air flow sensor and dash display replaced under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails Bmw X5-bmw-x5.jpg   Bmw X5-bmw-x5-02.jpg  
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=bmw+x5

Hey I just found another link on here with X5's. Hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, its a used one, 2004 model. The wife has pretty much been a grand cherokee girl for the past 10 years, getting a new one every year or two........but its way past time to try something different. We had our minds set on either the volvo xc90 or the BMW X5. I am thinking the X5 is going to be the way to go with the 4.4 V-8. I do have to get the challenger out of the water from time to time here at the lake, and usually its for cleaning/detail at the house....I hate to ride 20 miles to the shop to get a work truck to do this, had to do that with one of the Jeep GCs because it didn't have a hitch for about 2 weeks after we got it. This one is very-very clean and has 56K miles on it, one owner, looks to have been garaged since new because it is perfect in and out. The ford dealership here took it on trade for a new lincoln SUV. The price is also right....so it kinda falls right in with what we were looking. Thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 AM
VIP Member

O.K. Problem areas are: Window regulators, Front lower ball joints/lower arms, rear hatch handle/switch, and some have instrument cluster problems. Check the price on an extended warranty if they offer something. Might not be a bad idea to have if you plan on keeping it til over 100K. Overall great vehicle, can do everthing the Jeeps can and stops a whole lot better. Plan on brakes/rotors every 30K
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger
Thanks guys, its a used one, 2004 model. The wife has pretty much been a grand cherokee girl for the past 10 years, getting a new one every year or two........but its way past time to try something different. We had our minds set on either the volvo xc90 or the BMW X5. I am thinking the X5 is going to be the way to go with the 4.4 V-8. I do have to get the challenger out of the water from time to time here at the lake, and usually its for cleaning/detail at the house....I hate to ride 20 miles to the shop to get a work truck to do this, had to do that with one of the Jeep GCs because it didn't have a hitch for about 2 weeks after we got it. This one is very-very clean and has 56K miles on it, one owner, looks to have been garaged since new because it is perfect in and out. The ford dealership here took it on trade for a new lincoln SUV. The price is also right....so it kinda falls right in with what we were looking. Thanks guys!

X5 crushes the XC90 (even their V8 one). My sister in law has a 3.0 X5 with 45K on it still with original brakes/tires and not one problem. My sister bought a new XC90 V8 the same year. Tons of electrical problems (like whole pass. side goes dead- locks, windows,mirrors) and the car is very jittery at speed. Move the wheel left/right/left 1/2 inch at 60 MPH and it feels like it is going to hop on its roof.

Buy the X5
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Thats kinda the way I am leaning also, the x5 seems to look a ton better also........thanks JS.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The prices on the X-5's are about the same everywhere. If you buy it from a dealer, you're going to get a subsidized interest rate and the 100K extended warranty. Almost all these trucks are off-lease. I just went thru this exercise on an X-3 for my wife. With the discoounted rate vs. our C/U rate it was thousands of dollars in savings. Plus the warranty which can be a big benefit. Run the numbers before you buy.

P.S. The BMW dealer gets first crack at these off-lease vehicles. The lesser-condition ones go back to BMW and are auctioned. If you're serious about the ine at the non-BMW dealer, find out if it's an auction car and examine it closely. We saw one priced really right and carfax was clean. Turned out it had MAJOR collision repair.

Quick Reply: Bmw X5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.