Notices

Suburban

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2003 Yukon XL 3/4 ton, 4x4, 8.1 with 4.10 gears. I have towed up to 12K with it. The trailer had elect/hydraulic brakes and we had no issues getting going or stopping (due to strong trailer brakes).

It now tows a 260 Formula with ease.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I used to tow with Suburbans (had two different 1/2 tons), but have owned two diesel Excursions since and wouldn't consider another Suburban (even with the 8.1) again. I WOULD be interested if they come up with a diesel, but the plant is very near my locale and I have plenty of inside info that relays to me to 'not hold your breath').
Increases in boat size made the move up in vehicles necessary, I'm not brand loyal, and although more expensive to repair, a turbo-diesel outshines a gasser in torque (hp numbers mean nothing when towing). Once you pull with both you'll get what I'm saying. I get just shy of 20mpg unloaded and about 15 towing, and a downshift on a hill is a rarity. Interior amenities in the Burb may be a little better, but I have a Limited Ultimate Ex and it has all the bells and whistles except for a moonroof (available in a Burb, wasn't an option in an Ex.) The Ex is definitely more 'truck-like'. It drives like one, and has the same platform, axles and driveline as the F-250. It pretty well dwarfs a late model Burb when parked side-by-side, so if your garage has limitations, it may not be the tow-vehicle for you.
If you're brand loyal and have to have GM, get the 8.1 in a 3/4 ton. You're not going to pass any pumps with the 6.0 anyway, so you might as well have the extra power that the 8.1 gives you.

Last edited by jafo; 12-06-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 06 2500 it pulls my 33PP ok . Brakes are good, it just lacks torque.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

towed 38zr to the shootout this summer from wisconsin, 2005 3/4 ton 8.1 gas. boat, 6 guys and gear...towed great, doesnt set speed records but plenty of power and handled great.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

how much torque does the 8.1 make???
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
how much torque does the 8.1 make???
When I bought my truck in 05, I was looking at 3/4 ton Burbs and the 8.1 had 325 hp and 440/450 ft-bs. The 6.0 actually has a tad more hp, but much less torque.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

I am on my 4th Suburban! Awesomely satisfied with all. My current Suburban is a 2004 5.3 1500. Awesome ride and comfortable. Just got back from Ohio pulling a 260 powerquest. Running 65-70 gets around 13. Running 75 or so 11. No power issues at all unless ya wanna dragrace with a boat behind you! Is also a very stable tow vehicle in my opinion. Have to step up to a duellie for more stability. I will say an Excursion is probably more stable...never driven one but it's built on a 250 frame? and probably rides like a truck!

My beast was a 97 2500 with a 454. Would blow the doors off my 99 F350 diesel pulling a 12000 lb trailer. The Duellie was better on fuel...12 vs 9. somin mpg towing.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by pachanga
My current Suburban is a 2004 5.3 1500. Awesome ride and comfortable. Just got back from Ohio pulling a 260 powerquest. Running 65-70 gets around 13. Running 75 or so 11. No power issues at all unless ya wanna dragrace with a boat behind you! Is also a very stable tow vehicle in my opinion. Have to step up to a duellie for more stability. I will say an Excursion is probably more stable...never driven one but it's built on a 250 frame? and probably rides like a truck!
Just about any 1/2 ton truck or SUV offering from any mfg. is seriously limited as a towing platform, especially when it comes to stopping a real load. They might ride nice and make a decent station wagon, but I wouldn't want to safely tow a 260 anything around for very far with one. You're also limited to 500/5000 on your receiver/hitch combo unless you're using WD, or have upgraded to Titan or Pulman Class V, and you're still limited by GAWR & GVWR regardless of how much $$ you put into your receiver. I've owned a lot of different trucks from all the different mfg's. You don't need a dually to have a nice stabile tow vehicle, but a 3/4 ton supspension is a must-have IMHO.
The Excursion ride is exceptional considering it's equipped with Dana truck axles and truck suspension. It's an apples to oranges comparison with any 1/2 ton. I liked the 8.1 equipped3/4 ton Burb, but it felt small after driving an Ex diesel, and the mpg of the 8.1 is .
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

The trailer brakes should stop the trailer. You shouldn't be relying on the truck to stop the trailer, whether you're using a half ton to a 2.5 ton to do your towing. Using the truck to stop the trailer is asking for trouble.

I towed 7100 lbs with a '91 Suburban for a summer, no problem. Went 70+ down the highway without sway or any problems, stopped the boat just as easily my current tow vehicle (a Navigator), but that's because the trailer brakes stop the trailer. The Navigator will stop faster because the truck has better brakes, better tires, and a better suspension, but the difference isn't noticeable while towing because if the trailer brakes stop working, you're in for a really long stop regardless. I upgraded to a Navigator because the Suburban was a piece of crap mechanically, and really, really slow when accelerating with the boat. Plus it was only rated to tow 5000 lbs, and the hitch was only rated for 5000 lbs. It towed fine, but I knew I was asking for trouble if I ever got in an accident.

The Navigator is rated for 8000 lbs, and I put a class IV hitch on it. The air-ride on the navigator keeps me level, too. The shorter wheelbase means it doesn't tow quite as good at highway speeds, but it is a lot easier to maneuver at the launch ramp and back into the driveway.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
Just about any 1/2 ton truck or SUV offering from any mfg. is seriously limited as a towing platform, especially when it comes to stopping a real load. They might ride nice and make a decent station wagon, but I wouldn't want to safely tow a 260 anything around for very far with one. You're also limited to 500/5000 on your receiver/hitch combo unless you're using WD, or have upgraded to Titan or Pulman Class V, and you're still limited by GAWR & GVWR regardless of how much $$ you put into your receiver. I've owned a lot of different trucks from all the different mfg's. You don't need a dually to have a nice stabile tow vehicle, but a 3/4 ton supspension is a must-have IMHO.
The Excursion ride is exceptional considering it's equipped with Dana truck axles and truck suspension. It's an apples to oranges comparison with any 1/2 ton. I liked the 8.1 equipped3/4 ton Burb, but it felt small after driving an Ex diesel, and the mpg of the 8.1 is .
Straight from my owners manual!
5300 V8 3.42 axle ratio maximum trailer weight 6700 lbs GCWR 12000 lbs.

5300 V8 3.73 axle ratio maximum trailer weight 7700 lbs GCWR 13000 lbs.

I have been towing with Suburbans for more than 10 years. I used my 3/4 ton in my trucking business delivering High School Yearbooks for 4 seasons. I overloaded it at times and had a GCWR of as much as 16500lbs. I probably put over 25000 miles on that combination over the 4 years. Heavy stop and go traffic,etc....never a problem what so ever.

My 1/2 ton Suburban with a 3.73 axle ratio is very stable pulling my powerquest! Plenty of acceleration if needed and no problem maintaing over 70 MPH. I just came over Jelico last week and didn't come under 70 MPH. As sleeperdave said regarding braking...that is the trailer's responsibility. I had a few occasions when pulling my Pachanga the trailer brakes were not working. Granted it wouldn't stop on a dime but more than adequate. Don't know how Ford Brakes are these days but every Ford I have owned in the past s*cked in the braking department. I drove 18 wheelers for years. Try stopping a loaded rig without brakes! Takes 10 football fields instead of 1!

Quick Reply: Suburban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.