Notices

Suburban

Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
You guys act like all hell brakes loose when you have a flat tire. When I have a blow out on a trailer all it does is slow the truck down. Granted it was only a 24ft boat behind a Z71, but I would expect it to do the same with any size boat/truck.
Paradox just totaled his 33' Avanti and his tow rig due to a trailer tire blowout last month.

Cuda flipped and totaled his F-250 a couple years ago due to a front tire blowout, NOT towing.

It happens. I've had an entire wheel/tire COME OFF the trailer at speed, as well as plenty of flat tires. I've been lucky. IMHO, you need to do everything you can to prepare for the worst.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at the new 08 2500 suburban , one nice thing about the new ones are the 6 speed transmission, the interior are totally beat the door panels are solid hard plastic, very cheap interior.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
5300 V8 3.42 axle ratio maximum trailer weight 6700 lbs GCWR 12000 lbs.

5300 V8 3.73 axle ratio maximum trailer weight 7700 lbs GCWR 13000 lbs.
I have been towing with Suburbans for more than 10 years. I overloaded it at times and had a GCWR of as much as 16500lbs. I probably put over 25000 miles on that combination over the 4 years. Heavy stop and go traffic,etc.
My 1/2 ton Suburban with a 3.73 axle ratio is very stable pulling my powerquest!.

I'm glad you're happy with it and its capabilties, especially when overloaded.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
I'm glad you're happy with it and its capabilties, especially when overloaded.

I love the way you cut up my post to make it look like I Grossed out @16,500 with a 1/2 ton. If ya wanna see overloaded ya shouldda seen some of the logging trucks I used in my earlier years! Had a Chevy C-60 we welded a tag axle under with a 350 4Barrel and used to gross out in the 50's! I built that 350 myself! Truck empty weighed 12,500lbs(was a self-loader) and would get 12MPG empty! Would talk to most average cars on the road empty and lasted over 200,000 miles!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You're right. I went back and emphasized the suspension issue(s).

But if current 1/2 frames are as strong as 10 year old 1-tons; how strong are current 1-tons? Peterbuilts right?
More of an aside here, but hey, maybe! Ever sit next to a loaded up semi pulling away from a light? Them suckers TWIST!

Seriously, I would be interested to really know what the strength of the frames is. Half ton frames have been beefed up so much because of NVH and ride, since so many people use them as daily drivers nowadays. I wonder how much of a difference there really is between a half ton and a one ton frame nowadays. There's definitely a difference in powertrains, suspensions, and brakes, but I bet the frames really aren't all that much stronger.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
Man I miss my Mark VIII. In my opinion that is onna the biggest sleepers on the road! I always wondered how fast it would go if ya unlocked the castrator which was set at 125! I got over 32MPG outta that fine ride if I kept my foot out of it!
Another aside... theoretically it'll do 160. I had mine close to 140 before I ran outta highway. Mine had 4.10 gears, long tube headers, a cobra intake, full exhaust (with the stock tips welded back on ) and a 3200 stall torque converter. And it was dyno tuned, of course. With drag radials (on stock rims) it would put down a 1.9 60' and run 13.9's at ~100 mph. Definitely a sleeper... hence my screen name. A few years ago that was still fast, nowadays just about anything with sporting pretensions runs at least low 14's, so 13.9 isn't much to brag about anymore. That car was a blast on the street, It surprised many a mustang. And the drag radials worked great for daily driving, I could hammer it off the line and never spin 'em at all. Fun car, I miss it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered

If my boat were on the trailer, the sun were shining, and all I had at my disposal was an S10... i'd tow 7100 lbs with an S10. I might not be able to get it back up the launch ramp, but i'd get it in the water.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Paradox just totaled his 33' Avanti and his tow rig due to a trailer tire blowout last month.

Cuda flipped and totaled his F-250 a couple years ago due to a front tire blowout, NOT towing.

It happens. I've had an entire wheel/tire COME OFF the trailer at speed, as well as plenty of flat tires. I've been lucky. IMHO, you need to do everything you can to prepare for the worst.
I'm an idiot, just realized you were talking about the truck tires blowing out and not the trailers'. Sorry
Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
If my boat were on the trailer, the sun were shining, and all I had at my disposal was an S10... i'd tow 7100 lbs with an S10. I might not be able to get it back up the launch ramp, but i'd get it in the water.
LOL! I'd grab a couple a friends and drag it by hand if i had to!

My Mark VIII would slam(well not slam but have ya feeling the sitback and then let up...the bigblock Suburban would damn near bust the driveshaft!) the governor @125...I'm sure it would do well over 140....160 was always what it felt like it would do to me. Mine was an LSC...never did the research but the salesman told me it had an upgraded exhaust and a few extra horses. Yeap...was a suprise to the Mustang owners...could always nail em outta the hole! I can't tell ya how many evil looks I got outta the Beamer crowd!