Notices

Trailer security?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trailer security?

What security devices are you guys using? I got a Master lock coupler lock when not hooked to truck. Also was thinking about a boot/wheel lock for when parked at ramp area like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...192157819&rd=1

Of course I use hitch lock pins. Anything else you have found?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
What security devices are you guys using? I got a Master lock coupler lock when not hooked to truck. Also was thinking about a boot/wheel lock for when parked at ramp area like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...192157819&rd=1

Of course I use hitch lock pins. Anything else you have found?
We had our enclosed motorcycle trailer stolen with a coupler lock and a pin lock on it. There was no evidence that either had been cut off. We think they rolled it up onto a tow truck type tilt trailer or tied it to a trailer hitch/ball and just drove it far enough away to cut the locks off. At least we had taken the Harleys out or they would have been gone too. This happened in a busy apartment parking lot. I think the boot/wheel lock or even running a good quality chain/cable lock thru the wheels would help. Anything to keep them from moving it. I would keep the other locks on, too, just to make it difficult.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default trailer locks

www.marinesecurities.com
Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit chains thru the wheels and a Trimax tongue lock. http://trimaxlocks.com/FullSize/UMAX100.htm

You'll need a torch or a abrasive cutoff saw. Or a crane.

At home it's inside.

If they want it bad enough they'll get it. Locks & chains are deterrents to amateurs and crimes of opportunity.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gerritm
We had our enclosed motorcycle trailer stolen with a coupler lock and a pin lock on it. There was no evidence that either had been cut off. We think they rolled it up onto a tow truck type tilt trailer or tied it to a trailer hitch/ball and just drove it far enough away to cut the locks off. At least we had taken the Harleys out or they would have been gone too. This happened in a busy apartment parking lot. I think the boot/wheel lock or even running a good quality chain/cable lock thru the wheels would help. Anything to keep them from moving it. I would keep the other locks on, too, just to make it difficult.
This looks like it might have been usefull in your case.
http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-MobileL.../dp/B000IZG9VG
Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If they want it bad enough they'll get it. Locks & chains are deterrents to amateurs and crimes of opportunity.
I do realize that but I feel anything you can do to slow them down or make it so much trouble that they move along is worth it. Anyone use one of those boots? Are they easily defeated?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 PM

The issue with the boots is dragging them along. I wanted more than one and carrying four of them would be cumbersome. The four chain setups fit right in a small box on the trailer. It takes just a minute or two for each one- it goes through the front and middle wheel and locks, then another through the middle and rear. The only way to defeat them is to cut. The boot locks look susceptible to slide-hammering the lock and/or freeze-fracturing it.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

insure that big bad myco
Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Selling trailer security devices, I have seen the good, bad n ugly.. At best you are going to slow them down, you are not going to stop them. Bootlocks like the trimax are not bad, but rarely work with trailer brakes. They are defeatable, and rather easily. The stern lock one is interesting, but I need to see it before I would feel comfortable commenting upon it.

The chain theory is dependent upon your locks. I ONLY sell Abloy and Cisa chain locks, and only use them myself. With these locks the chain becomes the weak point, not the lock. That said, I can also SILENTLY cut hardened square link chain in 4 seconds with a commonly available tool... No, I won't tell ya what it is either...
Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 981 Likes on 524 Posts

Met a guy at a local 7-11 a month ago who thought he had it all figured out. Locked the trailer to the truck, locked the boat to the trailer and locked the truck. Mistake was they stole the whole rig! Truck, trailer and boat!

Quick Reply: Trailer security?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.